Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roho vs gel cushions

roho vs gel cushions

i presently use a gel cushion and i'm scheduled for seating clinic soon. the preliminary disscusion leads them to lean toward a roho cushion(probably a quatro). does anyone use a roho, how do they perform for pressure relief, are they hard to maintain, are they stable ....... any input appreciated

Roho

I use a high profile Roho cause I failed every other cusion. Baby skin ass I guess. -)

All the feedback that I originally got from PTs was that these are not good cause they're a lot of maintenance, have a lot of problems, etc.

My own experience has been just fine though. In 18 months I've had to add air 3 times. That's it... I don't call that heavy maintenance. It's not as stable as a hard cushion but it isn't bad.

I got a minor pressure sore on my tailbone after a 10 hour flight. I fell asleep on my cusion on the plane and I guess the angle was screwed up or something. It was minor and cleared up quickly. No other problems with it.

Another alternative is the Stimulite

It's as good as a Roho, IMO, but will never leak as it's not inflated. I've owned three different Rohos and they all leak after a while. You can send them in to get fixed but just make sure you have a spare. The stimulite, OTOH, is a dream cushion.

Also, check out the thread in this forum on the EASE cushion.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

I've found that I have alot better protection against pressure sores if in addition to sitting on proper cushioning and doing pressure lifts, I do stim to my gluts for about 10 minutes every morning. It's part of my regular skin inspection routine.

Eric Texley

Pressure mapping

I assume you will get a pressure mapping done to see if you have any "hot" spots. Also, you should ALWAYS have two cushions around in case of accidents, leaks, etc. which you get with most cushions anyway.

I have used a Roho cushion since getting out of rehab nearly 7 years ago. I started with a 2 inch half cushion (Nexus?) and graduated to a high profile after pressure mapping. The only downside I have ever had with roho is the tendancy to overfill it. Roho has been very good about replacing cushions if they are found defective (I had one node of the air bladders bulge larger than all the others) but if you poke or burn a hole in it you are on your own. Roho does provide a repair kit with each cushion.

I have never had a pressure sore using a roho. I use all methods of weight shifting including lifting myself and leaning from side to side or forward. Hope this helps.

"And so it begins."

TD

I tried those repair kits but the knowledgeable person at the med supply store advised me to have them fix it. They shipped it for me and everything was free. And they fix them as good as new.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Go Roho

Get a high profile Roho, as I have used them for 25 years. From time to time they will need a small amount of air. You can blow into it by mouth to fill it or use the hand pump they provide. Get the cushion cover-as it will extend the life of the cushion and it has a handy pocket on the side to store your cash and credit cards. Always have at least one backup cushion. If you crap or piss on it, you can wash the cover and of course the rubber cushion can get hosed off in the shower and retains no residual odor. Relieve pressure throughout the day. When flying in a pressurized cabin-LET SOME AIR OUT! It really expands when you reach a certain altitude and the aircraft is pressurized. Carry "Shoe Goo" sneaker repair rubber cement when you travel-works like a charm until you get back. Get it at Foot Locker or any sneaker store.

Originally posted by Jeff:

I tried those repair kits but the knowledgeable person at the med supply store advised me to have them fix it. They shipped it for me and everything was free. And they fix them as good as new. ~
    Yeah repair kits are good short term, but Roho replacing the cell is the best way to go.

They're not for everybody, but I love mine. Having a spare is a GOOD idea.

~Rus

"Life's a bitch, but I love her."

thanks for advice guys. helps alot. i like my j2 deep contour but recently started having a few red spots reoccurring in the same area of my tigh. some suggest i switch to roho or aleast new cushion. i am concerned about maintaining and repair of roho. but, a healthy butt is most importent. are they stable or real bouncey. any more advice or input. what other seat cushion does everybody use. thanks.

Originally posted by dkam:

i presently use a gel cushion and i'm scheduled for seating clinic soon. the preliminary disscusion leads them to lean toward a roho cushion(probably a quatro). does anyone use a roho, how do they perform for pressure relief, are they hard to maintain, are they stable ....... any input appreciated
    I am a c5-6 quad and tried the Roho years ago. I found it very unstable, it gave me no trunk support and since I could not sit square in the seat it gave me serious back pain.

How old is the jell insert in your J-cushion? I think they recomend replacing it every two years. I use the standard J-cushion with the extra thick jell insert.

Noel