Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Spinergy wheels

Originally posted by ResonantEcho:

I need advice here people!

All these so called blow outs happened while sitting idle. Any suggestions?
    Ive had that same thing happen, that strip covering the spokes seems to have solved the problem

Thanks for all the advice.

It turns out the rim tape was EXACTLY the problem. On both wheels right above one of the rim mounts there were holes in the rim tape (rubber). Spinergy acknowledged the problem and said they have had problems with newer wheels using the rubber rim tape. They recommended I purchase some rim tape made by Velox. I have done so and plan to put it on tomorrow. I will let everyone know how things go. Here is the e-mail I received from Spinergy just in case anyone is interested:

Hello Mr. Bass :

Thank you for emailing Spinergy with your questions!

I am sorry to hear that you have experiencing several flats. The first things to check for would be any thorns or sharp objects in the tire itself, or inside the rim. Tubes will continuously puncture if there is a sharp object anywhere close to the tube. If the inside of your tires and rims are clean, I would recommend checking what rim tape is on the rim. Spinergy was using two types of rim tape (until recently) that were not providing sufficient protection. If you take your tire off, and look at the rim strip inside and it's either a black plastic or a black/grayish rubber that could be the problem. Check for any "bubbles" in the tape that represent the tube being "pushed" into the push rim mount hole, or a spoke hole. There is a chance that even at 90-110 psi that the tube will eventually bulge into one of these holes and eventually puncture. Or, sometimes the rim tape can be pushed aside, thus exposing a spoke hole.

If this seems to be the cause, I recommend going to a bike shop and purchasing new rim tape called "Velox" - it is very inexpensive and easily applied. I suggest buying the Velox tape that is tacky on the back. Make sure to cut the rim tape to length so that ends meet when installed on the rim. I think this is possibly even a better option than me sending you the rim tape that we now use. Velox is really good rim tape and used heavily in the cycling industry.

Spinergy has remedied this problem by using a more durable rim tape on wheels being shipped today.

For tire levers, I recommend purchasing metal tire levers (vs. plastic) that are sturdy enough to withstand more leverage. They are not always on display at a bike shop, but if you ask around a shop should be able to sell you (may have to order) good ones from "Park Tools". Always be gentle when using tire levers to reinstall a tire/tube. It is easy to puncture the tube with the tire lever. It can be tedious, but being gentle and patient can save your tube.

I hope this has been helpful. Good luck, and I hope you're enjoying your Spinergy wheels!

Regards,

Ryan Webb

-ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete

Visit me at Kev's Korner and sign my Guest Book.
    Last edited by Jeff Weeks; 08-26-2005 at 11:07 PM.

Update:

So far, so good. I was sent the wrong size Velox Rim Tape. It wasn't the correct width (smaller). However, it was wide enough to cover all the spoke and rim mount holes. I have been on the chair for most of the day. However, we'll see what comes of it. It normally took a little over a day before they would pop.

I only put 80 psi in them just to be safe. If all goes well tomorrow I will put the full 100 psi in them.

Until further notice......

-ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete

Visit me at Kev's Korner and sign my Guest Book.

I have the everyday Spinergy wheels with yellow spokes. I've had the Kik Mako solid tires for over 2 years and they offer very little rolling resistance. There are different types of Kik Mako tires. Kik makes a Mako tire specifically for the Spinergy wheels. The model # is 559HS. Make sure you tell them they are for Spinergy wheels. These tires fit 24 and 25" wheels. They are very diffcult to install without the tool made for this tires. The tool sells for $24. You can order the tires straight from Kiktires.

ResonantEcho,

I had the same thing happen to one of my Spinergy tires. Yesterday, my husband filled up my tires because the pressure was low. Five minutes later, one went flat. I didn't have any spare tubes, and couldn't get the tire off the rim (no tool), so today I took the wheel to work. A friend was going to a cycle shop at lunchtime, and he took my wheel with him. He came back with the tire all fixed. Seems he replaced the tube with a bicycle tube, and it immediately blew when he inflated it. Then, he took the tire completely off and found a hole in the tape over one of the spokes. He put Velox tape on, a second new tube, and now it's perfect. I'm going tomorrow to get some spare tubes ($5) and tire levers. The tire is a bear to get off the rim!

I've had my new chair about two months. Too bad I didn't read your post earlier!

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
    ~ Arthur Ashe

Can anyone tell me the exact measurement bearing to bearing on their spinergy spox everyday hubs? Need to know if I get a pair if I'll need longer or shorter axles than the ones I'm using.

Also I'm curious what it is (as a few have stated) about the rims that make the tires harder to get off?? I'm a C-7 quad and usually change my tires/tubes myself, not sure I wanna get rims that make this already difficult task for me any harder or impossible for me to do.

Does anyone know if the kik solid tires
    would pose a problem with an I-Glide?

I do not want to even bother with tubes.

The only maintanence I want = 0.

Joe

Originally posted by NoDecafPlz:

Does anyone know if the kik solid tires
    would pose a problem with an I-Glide?

I do not want to even bother with tubes.

The only maintanence I want = 0.

Joe
    JOE, BRAKES DONT HOLD WELL ON KIK TIRES, IN MY EXPERIENCE ANYWAY