Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spinergy wheels

oops... clicked on the wrong button

wild as a river...

I use bike wheels that have a wheelchair sized hub on it, so i can buy cheapie $10 bike tires.

well if u use big wheels, then how do you get your handrims on there?

Josh S.

Originally posted by Stevens:

well if u use big wheels, then how do you get your handrims on there?

Josh S.
    The handrims are designed for the size of wheel. For example, a handrim for 24" wheel will only fit a 24" wheel.

If I didn't answer your question, try to be more specific.

wild as a river...

Originally posted by LooseCannon:

Look into getting solids and throw those pneumatic tires out the window.
    I've only had one flat and that was because my sister dropped a small nail in the carpet. Keep the pnumatic tires. I had solid core wheels on my first loaner chair, and it was a big difference when I got the pnumatic tires. The solid tires seem to absorb your rolling energy.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Originally posted by jd87:

I use bike wheels that have a wheelchair sized hub on it, so i can buy cheapie $10 bike tires.
    so how would u put handrims on regular bike wheels with the hub attached? there has to be a way to attach the handrim to the wheel right?

Josh S.

yeah i have a set with solid tires on them and they are alot heavier. i hate them. im getting primo tires with the big tread for my outdoor activities.

Josh S.

Originally posted by jimnms:

I've only had one flat and that was because my sister dropped a small nail in the carpet. Keep the pnumatic tires. I had solid core wheels on my first loaner chair, and it was a big difference when I got the pnumatic tires. The solid tires seem to absorb your rolling energy.
    I agree that a solid tire isn't as rigid as a pneumatic tire that's aired to100psi. A solid tire is more equivalent to riding around with 85 - 90psi in your pneumatic. Considering you won't have to put air inn the tires every 2 weeks and will never have to worry about pushing around on the rim because of a flat I think loosing some firmness is a favorable trade off. I ran pneumatics for 4 years and experienced plenty of flats. I also hated carrying a pump, an extra tube and proper tire changing tools with me on trips.

wild as a river...

Jeff - I love mine SPOX. Have had them over 2 years and the spokes are as tight as they day I bought them, still like the look and I love how light they are.

RE

Make certain you have the inside rim protectors. I can't recall the name but its a strip of rubber that goes over the rim and covers the spokes (all bike stores will carry them). Also, I'd take only one of Loose Cannon's piece of advice...run your hand over the inside of the rim to make certain you don't have any protrusions, grooves, etc. that are causing the flats. Stay with the pneumatics - the ride on the solids slow you down.

Did you have a hard time getting the tube on the tire like you had to stretch it too much. If so, maybe its a size off and causing extra stress on the tubes. My recommendation would be to just switch brands. I had $150 per tire sew ups on my chair. I loved them and didn't get a flat until after 1-1/2 years and then I rolled over a big piece of glass going to the gym at 5 a.m. I got 2 replacements (at different times) and each popped after less than a week. At $150 a piece that was all it took for me to switch. The new ones were so difficult to get on that I had to go to a bike store and watch this guy who looked like a bull struggle to get them on for over 5 minutes. The distributor reimbursed me for one and said they were the correct size but it was too much of a hassle.

Originally posted by Stevens:

Originally posted by jd87:
    so how would u put handrims on regular bike wheels with the hub attached? there has to be a way to attach the handrim to the wheel right?

Josh S.

you drill holes in the wheel and bolt them on. you do HAVE to use a tube. I got the most heavy duty tube the bike shop had. can't remember the cost, but it wasn't much. that was January. since then, zero flats. and i frequent my dads body shop, so you can imagine what i run over. today, i ordered grey tires because there are black marks everywhere in our kitchen, and my hands are always black.