Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OUCH!

OUCH!

Ok here we go again..
    Last time i pooped was last sunday!(and it was like projectile diahrea) then again on Wed. after i did a Thervic enama (spelling..the little yellow bulb looking things..)and let me tell ya, it was defentialy 3 days worth.

So, since wed i havent gone. my stomach HURTS so bad, its destended, and on the sides feels like a sharp electric pain every once in a while.

I did a UTI test strip and it showed traces of blood,and trace amts. of Leukocytes..However, i poured the urin from a urional onto the strip, so im gonna try it again in a few hrs.just incase its a wrong reading.

What is wrong with me? Its humilating, adn embarasing to keep goin to the ER saying "i cant poop" and have some nurse stick a tube up there to make me poop!

At 27yrs old i shouldnt have to go through this.. Im losing it!
    Crash

It sounds like you just need to get your program regulated. Maybe the nurses here can help you figure out what you're doing right & wrong. Three days may be toolong for you. Maybe every other day is better.

~Rus

"Life's a bitch, but I love her."

Impaction

Sounds like you are impacted. Get some Lactulose and take a tablespoon full every 2 hours until you have results. You will likely have a bowel accident.

Do you bowel care daily for at least the next week. If you start to vomit or cannot keep fluids down (push fluids right now), call your doctor or go to the ER.

Have your meds changed lately? How much water are you drinking lately?

Once you have a bowel movement, add a stimulant and softener for a while. I would recommend Senakot 1 capsule at bedtime (if you do a morning bowel program) and two 250mg. DSS. If you swing the other way, you can cut these back.

(KLD)

The Worst Part of SCI

My guess is you're not impacted. I noticed you're only 5 months post. Although it seems like a lifetime, your body has not adjusted from active to seditary yet. The pains you describe are fairly common, especially on the lower left side.

I agree that you need to establish a normal program, and daily is the best place to start. I've heard quite a few different bowel routines and a little reading on previous posts will enlighten you on the subject. The most important thing to remember is pick a method and stick to it. Eat properly and drink plenty of water. Chances are you won't have an impaction. If your program is unsuccessful for a day or 2 don't sweat it. Nature will take of it.

Good luck. This and everything else gets easier over time.

if I ever have a problem, I usually go to the local drugstore and buy some magnesium citrate. It tastes terrible, but it will normally take care of the problem.

Originally posted by Carl R:

if I ever have a problem, I usually go to the local drugstore and buy some magnesium citrate. It tastes terrible, but it will normally take care of the problem.
    I took that stuff for a KUB. Never again! They'll have to admit me to the hospital and clean me up after every accident which is every half hour it seems. Gawd! I thought I was cleaned out that night after doing my program on the toilet and drinking a bottle of that stuff beforehand. I had an accident that night and several times the next day. It's the only time I've had an accident out in public, and the whole 48 hours rank up in the worst of my life.

If you have to take this stuff, take just a little, not the whole bottle like my urologist told me to do.

~Rus

"Life's a bitch, but I love her."

OUCH!! Update

UPDATE..
    Went to the ER and the wait was over 6hrs. in the waiting room. So i went over to where I was inpatient there for Re-hab. They paged my doctor. I left a urin sample and they took it right to the lab. I have to call at 10Am to see what she says.I just got to get a urologist

I had a little movement today. I will take your advise and up the water intake. Im eating a bowel of Oatmeal w/apple in it right now.And I take Peri-colace2x a day/ Ive taken that magnisim stuff you all talked about and it didnt do nothing for me in the past,the dr couldnt believ it, THey had to do a Soap Suds Enema on me everytime i get constipated...

Im on Dantrium...sould this make me constipated?
    I get my leg braces this week so maybe some standing will help me out too.

The pains in my left side HURT like mad! My lower back is killing me too. MY butthole feelslike its throbbing(but idont have sensation there) I jsut dont get this whole B?B program. Just when you think you got it under control..WHAM!

i had major problems weith my bowels, so i go daily mornings and take a glass of fibregel a night (dont think you have it in the states). Fibre keeps the water regulated in your bowel so binds the stool and daily routine lessens the chance of accidents. I really feel for you crash, but once you get a good routine going it will work for you, its just finding the routine thats the hard part.
    Hang in there!

Originally posted by quadfather:

My guess is you're not impacted. I noticed you're only 5 months post. Although it seems like a lifetime, your body has not adjusted from active to seditary yet. The pains you describe are fairly common, especially on the lower left side.

I agree that you need to establish a normal program, and daily is the best place to start. I've heard quite a few different bowel routines and a little reading on previous posts will enlighten you on the subject. The most important thing to remember is pick a method and stick to it. Eat properly and drink plenty of water. Chances are you won't have an impaction. If your program is unsuccessful for a day or 2 don't sweat it. Nature will take of it.

Good luck. This and everything else gets easier over time.
    Sweet userID! It took me awhile to get "adjusted" to a BM schedule. For now, I'd say eat at the same times every day and don't eat hella amounts. That will maybe get your body used to the "new" way you go poo. After awhile, hopefully you can eat what you want, when you want. Plus, you'll learn how much your body can hold before it's time to evacuate. I go every 48-72 hours according to intake and activity. Works well for me, but I remember the early days of unplanned BM's. Good luck.

My phat site (Not SCI related)

Crashgirl, I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to not have a consistently effective program established yet. My husband went almost 2 months with 6-8 "accidents" a day and constant diarrhea after coming home from the hospital. We were both near suicidal. For some reason, within 3 days of starting to use the Magic Bullet, he got regulated and "firm". I don't know if it's coincidence or if those things really are magic. Anyway, this WILL get better. Hang in there!

martha