Thread: Stuffed Up!

Stuffed Up!

Every winter I get very congested and can't breathe through my nose, which which makes it tough to sleep. Salene nasal spray usually works, but not this time. I also sleep with a window opened.

I never take over-the-counter meds, but I need to breathe again. What do you suggest I try?

Thanks

I sympathsize with you, I had the same problem a while back and resorted to taking an OTC (Nyquil) but check with the pharmacist if your on other meds. I know decongestents slightly interfere with Ditropan but I decided to risk it so I could sleep...good luck!
    Do you mean you are stuffed up all winter? or just when you get a cold? Cause if your stuffed up all winter you might want to see a doc.

"Each moment in time we have it all, even when we think we don't."
    --Melody Beattie, writer and counselor

There's more dust in the winter.

You might want to seriously consider an air filtration system of some kind and definitely a hypo-allergenic pillow. Nasalcrom is OTC and has no known interactions with any other med. I use prescription cortisone based nasal sprays. I almost can't believe how well they work, either Rhinocort or Beconase/Vancenase.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Originally posted by JLB:

Every winter I get very congested and can't breathe through my nose, which which makes it tough to sleep.
    I use to have this same problem. I solved it by starting a habit of dusting the wood floors daily.

Before I became a clean fanatic, I found that a simple little room ionizer would solve all of my dust related congestion problems. Turn it on at night and wake up with a clear head.

Noel

[This message was edited by Noel on Feb 17, 2002 at 06:02 PM.]

Suggestions

If you are truely stuffed all winter, here are some things to consider:

-ask your physician to refer you to an allergist for an evaluation. This is not normal.

-consider use of an air filter

-dust mites are a common cause of allergies. Clean extensively and consider getting rid of carpet (a great place for them to live). Be sure any heater filters have been recently changed as well.

-use a humidifyer in your home, esp. if you have central heat. Be sure it is cleaned as specified to avoid mold growth, which can only make this worse.

-use saline nose drops or spray.

-if you cannot blow your nose (most people with tetraplegia cannot) have someone help you with an infant nasal bulb syringe.

-avoid the use of antihistamines or decongestants without clearing with your SCI physician. They can adversely affect your bladder management and some can predispose you to AD.

(KLD)

sudafed

Don't take sudafed or any of those decongestents. I couldn't take a leak once after doing that. Including, but not limited to; Cenafed
    Chlor-Trimeton Non-Drowsy Decongestant 4 Hour
    Decofed
    Dimetapp Decongestant
    Dimetapp Decongestant Pediatric Drops
    Drixoral Nasal Decongestant
    Efidac/24
    Genaphed
    Myfedrine
    PediaCare Infants' Oral Decongestant Drops
    Pseudo 60's
    Sudafed
    Sudafed Children's Nasal Decongestant Liquid Medication
    Sudafed 12 Hour
    Triaminic AM Decongestant Formula
    Triaminic Infant Oral Decongestant Drops

The Queen of bronchitis here. I have an air cleaner (and now an air cleaning furnace) but I also take a half dose of Robitussin most nights during the heating season. I cleared this with my SCI doc. Oh yea, also have a HEPA vacuumn cleaner now too.

Thanks for the info everyone.

I used NyQuil last night, and it worked really well.

Dimetapp made my blood pressure go way up.