Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Community Metrics 2005

Originally posted by McDuff:

I think the falloff may be twofold.

First, the slow response is a killer.

Second, discussions on this website ... "hot topic" ... I can only read/watch/listen so much about it and have been moving on to sites not dealing with it.
    Thirdly, if "new post since your last visit" times out with an error. You don't see anything really new at a glance. You can easily fall back into checking less often. So, page views go down and server loads with it. That is both the good and bad of it.

Good for those who stay and wait out the server.
    Bad for the community growth.

Still the best game in town.

Yes, I have been concerned with the slow response of the infopop servers (our current host). We have been working on transferring the entire database for the site to Rutgers. The new software is much faster and it will be on a dedicated server. It is being tested right now. Jeff Weeks is working on getting all the attachments and also transferring all the links. As soon as we think that it is working adequately, we may transfer to the new site... All the current links to this site should be maintained. Probably in a few weeks.

Wise.

Originally posted by McDuff:

I think the falloff may be twofold.

First, the slow response is a killer. Even this morning, took over a full minute for this reply pane to popup. Was hoping the downtime yesterday was done to help alleviate the slowness, unfortunately it doesn't seem so.
    McDuff: How do you connect to the internet, e.g., dial-up, cable, satellite, DSL?

PN

This is also Easter weekend... a big weekend for religious and sports events. Wise.

Originally posted by Paul Nussbaum:

McDuff: How do you connect to the internet, e.g., dial-up, cable, satellite, DSL?

PN
    Paul, I'm on DSL.

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

We are coming out of the Easter doldrums. Wise.

Originally posted by Wise Young:

We are coming out of the Easter doldrums. Wise.
    Hurray!!!

http://stores.ebay.com/MAKSYM-Variety-Store

Wise, sadly I think you've lost many, many regular posters along the way - for whatever reasons.

Jackie, a combination of factors are probably contributing to the slight decline in the numbers of people who come to the site. First, it is springtime and people are probably spending more time out. On Saturday and Sundays, our numbers are falling to 40,000 page views per day and 2000 visitors to day. On the weekdays, the numbers come back up towards 60,000 and 3000 visitors. Second, our more popular forum (Cure) is now dominated by discussions of the rally in Washington. While this is of great interest to Americans, it may not be as interesting to people from other countries. Third, our site has been slow. Even on a fast connection, it takes several minutes for a post to hold. We are addressing this and working very hard to transfer the site, probably in the next month (after the Rally) to different and faster host. It has been an incredible amount of work.

Wise.

I am also expecting a drop in the traffic today and tomorrow as many of our most prolific members are down in Washington DC. I will try to post pictures and comments in real time as much as I can. Thanks. Wise.