Thread: Minocycline helping my recovery?

Minocycline helping my recovery?

Wise young I have been injuried(c5-c6) a little over 8 months and seen some good results in my return. I am currently attending project walk and can walk with crutches, but still use a wheelchair for long distances.
    I have read a lot of articles on the internet about minocycline protecting your motor neurons and helping recovery in rats. Before my accident I was taking 200 mg of minocycline a day for acne. Do you think this has helped with my progress? Just curious on your opinion.

Ryan Russ, is your injury complete or incomplete, and how long have you been at Project Walk.

Incomplete, and I have been at project walk since 8/16/04 with a 3 week break in sept.

ryan, what you describe is interesting. Minocycline had indeed been reported by several laboratories to reduce tissue damage. You may be the first person that I know who was on minocycline at the time of spinal cord injury. The dose that you were taking, however, is substantially lower than the doses that have been reported to be neuroprotective, i.e. 90 mg/kg. Did you get methylprednisolone after your injury and when?

Wise.

Wise, Yes I was given methylprednisolone after my injury. I was given it about 1 hour-1 hour and half after my injury. Also, I was taken Minocycline for a little over 3 years.

Ryan

Ryan, I am filing your case away in my brain. . Thanks. Wise.