Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Van on Tuesday!!!

New Van on Tuesday!!!

I can't wait! I've been waiting for this van for six months now. I should have had it about six months ago, but the modifications company screwed up the order.

I sit very tall in the chair, approx. 59" tall, and have so much room in this van that its unbelievable. I still have at least 3" of head room available, and notice that there is no raised roof. We went with a conversion from a company called Nor-Cal and their Nor-Cal Max. They drop the floor 9" and the fit and finish is fantastic. I can't wait to be able to take my kids to the park and etc,by myself. Now my manual takes up so much room in my Honda that there is no room for anyone else, unless they stow it in the rear.

I'm a little disappointed with the Braun UVL. Its mounted much lower than I thought it would be. Even mounted on the E-250's chasis it only gives me about 7" of ground clearance. We decided on the UVL because of the kids. I didn't want to have to actuate the lift everytime they got in or out. Its a compromise, just like every other thing associated with an SCI.

As you can see in the picture below, I will be driving from my power chair and use it like a transfer seat. I will then have the option of getting the excersize I need badly and the convenience of the powerchair. If I just want to stop in and get a coffee, great, I'll just stay in the powerchair. I would love to be able to do that again, soon I'll be able.

(Ok, consider yourself lucky. I couldn't figure out a way to most multiple pic's in the same post, so you won't get to see my fat hairy self)

Dave

Its better to beg forgiveness than ask permission!

Holy crap Dave is that rig tall!..I thought my Van was tall,but you win.No touchless car washs for you my friend ..Ya,that UVL sure cuts down on your clearance man,you'd have be really careful with that and always keep it in mind.I just know id end up ripping it off on something..Nice lookin van though..

~~I went to heaven,but couldnt get in for what i had done.I said ''please take me'',they said your crazy,you had to much fun~~

Thanks Shaun, it is nicer than I expected. I can't believe I bought it sight unseen.

Well, I guess if I can't get it through the car washes, I'll have to get my legs working again so I can climb up there and scrub.

Notice the clearance in the wheel wells? It almost looks like a pre-runner. Theres already enough room under there for a Quigley 4X4 conversion. HMMMM? Anyone have an extra $8,000 sitting around?

Dave

Dude, I was thinking it already had a lift kit, either that or it is a 4x4.

Is a good lookin' van. Guess those running boards don't interfere with the lift any. Are the doors auto or manual open?

Congrats, ain't new cars fun?

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

Thanks Mcduff, The doors are both Manual and auto. There are small release levers on the doors that enable them to open independantly of the lift. I just have to re-engage them to operate the lift.

The running boards don't interfere at all, which is great because I really like the way they'll protect the side of the van.

Dave

Originally posted by herco:

Theres already enough room under there for a Quigley 4X4 conversion.
    LOL..Thats exactly the first thing that popped into my head when i saw that pic.Start savin you pennies buddy

~~I went to heaven,but couldnt get in for what i had done.I said ''please take me'',they said your crazy,you had to much fun~~

Thats a sweet rig! I just ordered a van too, a 2006 E-250. I'm getting a 6 ich lowered floor and they are putting a 2 inch body lift on it to gain more clearance. Did they put a body lift on yours? Cause if they didn't my van's going to be a monster truck. I also went with the Braun Vangater II because it does not take away from the vans clearance and I don't have to actuate it to allow people in because it all folds up into the van. Your van looks really really good though. Enjoy it.

[This message was edited by powerwheels on 04-11-05 at 07:08 PM.]

Better put some airline like oxygen dropbags from the ceiling PowerWheel. Theres no lift on mine. The 250's are rated for 8600lb with a curb weight of 5600lbs. That height you see is for the beefed up suspension.

If I remember right, we didn't go with that lift due to the fact that the post and manual pump go right infront of the bench seat on the right side. We also got the power rear seat with forward and aft movement so we could jam our cargo behind the rear seat.

The spousal unit is just going to have to let me get a jeep like Mikes4X4, WOOHOO!!!

Dave

No lift?..are you sure?..I was under the impression that anytime they lowered the floor they had to put some kind of lift in it because your gas tank just got lowered as much as your floor.The Fords gas tank sits just about mid body,so if your floor was lowered 9inchs,your gas tank also just dropped 9inchs...Maybe im wrong,which i have been before

Originally posted by Shaun:

No lift?..are you sure?..I was under the impression that anytime they lowered the floor they had to put some kind of lift in it because your gas tank just got lowered as much as your floor.The Fords gas tank sits just about mid body,so if your floor was lowered 9inchs,your gas tank also just dropped 9inchs...Maybe im wrong,which i have been before

Ford is moving my gas tank to the back of the van so i don't have to worry about that. Actually when you order a Ford for our situation they also beef up the frame, lower the floor themselves, put the body lift on and extend the steering column because of the body lift. They do it all at factory. pretty cool