Thread: 4-AP Question for Dr.Young

4-AP Question for Dr.Young

Hello,
    I've been taking the quick release format of 4AP for about 1.5 years now. I have had some decent results, some added strength and movement in muscles that only had flickers and added strength/movement ability to other muscle groups below my injury level, some improvements in sensation, bowel control too, decreased spasicity, etc (I'm C5 incomplete...quite incomplete, can wiggle toes, flex calves, hamstrings, some fingers, etc)....

As I mentioned I take the quick release format ... 10mg capsules 4 times a day for 40mg a day.

I was curious about increasing the dosage and whether that was advisable and what was a safe limit. I original read about it from this site http://goodshape.net/4AP.html which said 40mg/day recommend for most people but some people have gone up to 60mg. Would you recommend it as being safe, or advisable to try to increase my dosage, possibly up to that 60 point to see if I received additional benefits??

The side effects don't seem to bother me much anymore.... when I started it I'd get a little insomnia but I hardly get that anymore, likely because I've learned a decent period to take it before I go to sleep to avoid that effect.

(I know the 4AP SR is being phase 3 tested with mixed results but I'm unaware of what dosage individuals are taking daily for that)

So.......Would you recommend it as being safe, or advisable to try to increase my dosage, possibly up to that 60 point to see if I received additional benefits??

Thanks for your reply in advance....

Rob

Rob: I am in the Acorda clinical trials which will be ending soon. But, to answer your question, they have taken us up to 50 mg a day and that is 1 25mg caplet every 12 hours. I believe the goal of Acorda is to take us up to 80 mg a day, after it is FDA approved. The MS trials are still going on and I do not know when they will end.

PN

Locking this here and moving it over to the Care forum. You can find further responses to it here.

(KLD)