Thread: Pumping air into your bladder

Pumping air into your bladder

Other than taking up valuable space, are there any complications?

I did my second intravesicular oxybutinin and pushed the whole syringe in. Of course, using a 60cc syringe means half of it was air. Oooops. I'll pull out next time, lol.

I'm going to cath again before beddy-bye but thought I'd see if there were known complications to my mistake. I'll crede and try to get the air out...

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Probably will not hurt

While your bladder has the ability to reaborb this air, it is generally not a good idea as it can cause more bladder spasm.

When you draw up your solution, before injecting it you should point the tip of the syringe up in the air and squirt out most of the air, then put it to the catheter and instill the solution.

(KLD)

Thanks, KLD

I'm a little slow sometimes...

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Here I go again contradicting SCI Nurse.

I purposefully leave some air in the syringe as this helps to flush out the entire contents of the syringe. The catheters that I use are clear vinyl and so I can see when air is about to enter the bladder. I stop plunging just at the point where the end of the solution (the meniscus) meets the opening of the urethra. At this point, the syringe is now completely empty and there is perhaps <1.0 cc left in the catheter. I then withdraw the catheter and the syringe -- one still attached to the other.

There simply HAS to be a way for a person to make themselves urinate without catheterizing, without crazy surgery and weird electrical implants, without omentum transplants...there MUST be a way.

I've tried everything from hair pulling, to meditation, to spinning a dead cat over my head in the graveyard at midnight...to no avail....

Eric Texley

Eric, until we get the cure, there is nothing we have right now. Most studies show that among people with SCI, if they could only get ONE thing back, the majority would opt for bowel and bladder control BEFORE walking, and next comes sexual functioning. Walking is a distant 3rd.

Urination is one of the most neurologically complex functions we have. This is one reason that it takes even children 2-4 years to learn to be functionally continent (usually called potty trained). Since both sympathatic and parasympathetic components of the autonomic nervous system, at least 3 areas of the brain, and somatic nerves are involved in urination, without the ability to coordinate these nerves (as after SCI or with other conditions such as MS) it is a miracle that anyone with SCI (even very incomplete) has voluntary urination.

Let's keep pushing for the cure!

(KLD)