Thread: Please! Help us test a possible server-based chat solution!?

Please! Help us test a possible server-based chat solution!?

Most HTML chat is known to be rather slow and clunky. Kind of a tradeoff between that and downloading a big java applet in order to chat. We figured we'd at least try it out, however.

This possible solution would run on our server and give us much more control. And we'd be able to accurately report who is in the chatroom. I'm hoping this along with no lengthy wait will help improve the chat experience.

I'll leave it up for a day or two. Please give it a try and record some feedback.

When you enter the chat page please enter a chat name but not a password. No need to select a chatroom, either. Just click the chat button on the bottom.

http://base.rutgers.edu/phpmychat/chat/index.php3

Thank you!

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

[This message was edited by Jeff on 04-29-03 at 03:16 PM.]

Jeff,

The php chat is just like the one on my site. I am sure everyone will like going in there. I have had no problems with mine. It is much easier and better than the java applet ones.

Hope everyone finds it easier too.

Raven

Thank you, Raven. It's great to get the perspective of someone who has experience with that chat system.

Things I liked:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>Fast startup. No waiting for an applet to download.
    <LI>Icons and emoticons are loaded from the server. We can use unlimited numbers of those with no lengthy download times.
    <LI>Going into chat and seeing all the recent messages. No more wondering what people are talking about when you first enter chat.
    <LI>The experience is great for Windows users.
    <LI>This system improves editing of the text you're typing when using a Mac. I found I could use arrow keys within the text input area, which I can't do using the DigiChat Java applet.
    <LI>Big ones for me are the customization possibilities. We can implement any features we want as I can program them myself. We have the full source code for this system and I am well-versed in its language. For instance, we would finally be able to accurately report who is in the chatroom.
    <LI>It runs on any or all of our servers, including our Mac OSX server, which is the target machine.
    <LI>It's free![/list]

What I don't like:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>It works by constantly refreshing the browser frame where the messages are displayed. This uses a lot of server resources.
    <LI>Many browsers don't handle the constant refreshing well. IE on Mac is the worst.
    <LI>Most Mac browsers are rather slow, sometimes requiring up to fifteen seconds to display a message.
    <LI>Safari on Mac is fast but unstable accessing this chat site.[/list]

So....I'm not sure we'd be improving the chat situation here for our Macintosh users. Hopefully Mac browsers will catch up soon. For instance, IE for the Mac is falling way behind its Windows counterpart.

I think I'll try a few commercially available packages next to see if there is anything better. For now, we'll just keep chatting away on DigiChat!

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~