Thread: Rules of the messageboard

Rules of the messageboard

First off, I guess I have to say hello. I'm new here, and I've browsed through a few of the posts. Have to say I'm excited by the opportunity of contributing to what appears to be a very vibrant community.

Anyway, on the main page of the site, there's a link at the bottom for new users on the rules governing forum ettiquete. Problem is, I can't seem to access it. My browser displays a message stating that the page cannot be found. Can anyone point me to the right direction?

Oh, and how do I access the chatroom? I'd like to get to know you guys better.

Thanks in advance.

Skippy

The link to the forum rules seems to be working fine, now. I'd say try it again. Sometimes our web server coughs when serving up a page like they all do once in a while.

You can access the chatroom from the link on the main forum page. Your initial password is "cure" - change it soon but use only up to six characters.

Look forward to seeing you there.

BTW, I married a Cebu lady in Cebu City and we flew to Manila for our honeymoon. We stayed at the City Garden Hotel in Makati. It's a beautiful hotel with really nice rooms and amenities including a pool and bar on the roof. Roof-top swimming with a drink and a view is actually a lot of fun. We did a lot of sight-seeing and shopping during our week there. We also just happened to be there for the Chinese New Year celebration at a popular club in Ermita, I believe. We saw that same club on E! TV this year which was pretty cool. I later decided to relocate to the Philippines while we were waiting for my wife's visa. We settled in Pampanga for eight months but made frequent trips to Manila.

Dr. Patricia Morton of the Rutgers Keck Ctr, which sponsors this web site, also lived in Manila for a while. Her kids went to high school there, Quezon City, I believe.

Anyway, welcome to CareCure!

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Thank Jeff.

It's nice to know you've been to the Philippines. Got yourself a wife too. Not much going on here. The country isn't as nice as it used to be, with the bombings left and right. It's not even safe to go the mall, much less the bars at night.

Anyway, thanks again.

Skippy

You sound like you're living in the Washington, DC area here in our capital. People don't feel safe due to a sniper.

I was actually impressed by security in the Philippines. I never minded having my backpack searched when going to the mall. Security measures are only bad for the bad guys.

You'll find on the pages of this web site quite a passion for the cure for SCI that we're all waiting for. Living in the Philippines showed me so much more than I already knew how necessary it is. A cure will be much less expensive than the care we all require to stay healthy. And a whole lot cheaper than making the nations of the world accessible.

On the other hand, the lack of accessible infrastructure there meant that everything was accessible. I never expected specific accomodations. I travelled Luzon and the Visayas by using work-arounds for everything. The gracious Philippine people were always willing to help. That made the buses completely accessible, for example. Here in the US I can't use buses without lifts.

I did miss out on quite a few sights in Baguio. Just too many stairs to be practical. I look forward to being able to maneuver them on my own someday as a result of a cure for SCI.

I'm sorry you don't feel safe in Makati. The militant Muslim element has to export their crimes to be effective in causing fear. I think, however, we're on the right track toward stopping terrorism in the world. Gains are being made daily. The cooperation of your government and ours is a good thing.

I'll be visiting your country again in a year or two. Maybe we could meet somewhere to say, "Hi." I think security will be less of a topic by then.

And if you've noticed my avatar .... it was taken in Rizal Park.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

We'll definitely make plans when you get here.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the security thing. I've been following the sniper happenings over there. A couple of bombs exploded this morning, which brings the tally up to 4 consecutive days with bombs going off. It's getting kinda crazy right now.

Your avatar picture was taken at Rizal Park? Wow, haven't been there for ages. I guess I'm not into travel much. Ha. A foreigner in my own country. Shame on me.

One thing I can definitely say, whatever we lack as a people, we make it up with our friendliness, as you mentioned. I've had people actually carry my wheelchair up 4 flights of stairs to get to a library when I was working on my thesis.