Thread: R & S Forum not showing most recent post on main forum page

R & S Forum not showing most recent post on main forum page

No biggie. Thought I'd mention it.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Jeff, what is happening is that the server forms replaces the front displayed latest posting every time there is a new posting. However, when a posting has been moved and no new posting has occurred, that spot is blank.

Infopop (the company that hosts our forums) just introduced version 2.2 of their Open Topics software. They have been doing this server by server and solving bugs as they are encountered. Two days ago, when they migrated the new software version to our server and I turned on the new software, I found two unacceptable bugs.

1. The posting order of the messages had a bug. From the beginning, I had chosen to display the newest posting on top, to minimize the amount of scrolling and keystrokes that people have to make in order to see the latest post. In the new version, on each page of postings, it went from oldest to latest.

2. The attached files were not showing images and could no longer be downloaded.

They have suggested a workaround for the first problem and have been working on the second.

The new version of the Open Topic software provides several significant new features that I wanted to use for our Forum. The most important ones were:

• Ability for topic originators to create private topics (this is for the Member's Only page) where people can choose which registered members can view and post to the topic. This will allow very secure communications between small groups of people who might want to discuss confidential issues.

• Restrict viewship of membership profiles. At the present time, any unregistered member can now look at our member profiles. In the new version, this will be restricted to registered members. This will not only reduce the possibility that unregistered people and search engines will be able to pull out email addresses of our members but, in my opinion, will be a more secure environment for our younger members (Family Forum).

There are many other features that should be useful for our members. Sometime later today, I will probably go ahead and try again to implement version 2.2 again on the site.

Wise.

Jeff, it appears that this is a new feature of the 2.2 version of the software. Apparently, when forum viewing is restricted to members only, it now no longer shows even the topic titles up front. Wise.

Man, I shoulda figured that out...

Oh well, makes sense, thanks for letting me know.

I think the new features have lots of potential. As our community grows even niche features could be important. I love this site!

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~