Thread: suprapubic cathing

suprapubic cathing

Any opinions on suprapubic cathing would be helpful and appreciated. My son C6/7 has been using an indwelling cath for 2 years and has done well until recently. The cath has began to open/tear the meatus. His Urologist is suggesting a suprapubic cath and it does sound appropriate for his lifestyle. But would like your input, how much trouble have you had with leaking from the urethra? Any other problems you have seen? He feels even this could be temporary in terms of allowing the "tear" to be repaired and heal up. Intermittent cathing would be a problem due to belly and finger use. THANKS> Lind

After 18 months or so of discomfort with his standard indwelling cathether, my son decided to have a suprapubic stoma created. He says he is much happier with this arrangment. However, if he sleeps on his back he does have a problem with leaking through the urethra. He had not been told to expect this, and was distressed about the first few episodes. But now he mainly sleeps on his side so that this leaking won't happen. He, too, cannot intermittent cath, so the suprapubic seems like the best solution for now.

Originally posted by mazey:

Any opinions on suprapubic cathing would be helpful and appreciated. My son C6/7 has been using an indwelling cath for 2 years and has done well until recently. The cath has began to open/tear the meatus. His Urologist is suggesting a suprapubic cath and it does sound appropriate for his lifestyle. But would like your input, how much trouble have you had with leaking from the urethra? Any other problems you have seen? He feels even this could be temporary in terms of allowing the "tear" to be repaired and heal up. Intermittent cathing would be a problem due to belly and finger use. THANKS> Lind

pardon me mazeey, not to impose the subject of your post, but could you tell me how suprapubic cathing works. i'm in somewhat of a similar situation as your son.

SP catheters

A suprapubic catheter is another type of indwelling catheter. Instead of passing up the urethra to the bladder, and artificial opening (stoma) is made in the abdomen just above the pubic bone, and the catheter is passed through the stoma into the bladder. After the stoma has healed, it can be changed similar to a urethral catheter. The main advantages of SP catheters are two:

1. Decreased damage to the urethra (strictures, diverticuli, urethral tearing, etc.)

2. For males (esp.) less interference with sexual activity.

There is really no good evidence that there is any less risk of stones, infection, bladder cancer, or long term kidney damage compared to urethral catheters.

Leakage is more likely in anyone who has had previous surgeries such as sphincterotomies. Leakage can also be reduced, and the risks of reflux to the kidneys (which still can occur) with the routine use of anticholergic drugs (Ditropan, Detrol, etc.) with either urethral or SP indwelling catheters. In addition, the placement of the stoma is critical to assure good drainage in both seated and lying positions, so be sure that your urologist does these often, and you may want to talk with someone else who has had this done by the same surgeon.

(KLD)

superpubic

I am c6-7 and have had a super pubic since 1984.

the conveniance is great but i constantly get bladder infections. I have talked to some people that hardly ever get a uti with the supercaths?

i had some leeking rarely about the first 6 months.

Want to be involved in reasearch. like a guinee pig

Dear Mazey

Had outpatient surgery for a
    superpubic catheter on 1-24-02.

I'm a c6 quad since 1994.

I'm real happy with the SP
    catheter,compared to the
    indwelling foley catheter.

Good luck

william