Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cracked frame

cracked frame

Today my husband discovered a crack in the frame of his wheelchair (Ti TRA). He's only had it about a year and a half, we'll have to wait three and a half more years until insurance will buy us a new one...so he's having it welded tomorrow. Has anyone else had problems like this with a chair? It's the spot where the seat back latches.

We are thinking about getting a second chair so he has a backup for these little maintenance emergencies. We are stumped for how to go about buying one though. We are VERY unhappy with the dealer we got this one from so we'd need to find someplace else. We have looked online at eBay and various places for used chairs, but he is very much larger than average it seems and we can never find anything big enough used. I read through the various posts and everyone says try a lot of chairs, but we aren't sure how to find someone who HAS a lot of different chairs to try.

AB wife of T8 complete para

TiLife does offer a lifetime warenty on the frame you should call them. having a outside company weld it might null the waranty on it.
    Ti-Lite customer service # is 800-545-2266

Assuming you get the chair replaced under warranty and they don't take the old one. Then weld it for your extra chair.

Brian
    http://bspill1.home.comcast.net/index1.html

yup all high end chair makers, cover frames for life. they will replace that no questions asked. go directly through tilite, most dme co's arent worth shit, just order takers

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung

Originally posted by Bspill1:

Assuming you get the chair replaced under warranty and they don't take the old one. Then weld it for your extra chair.

Brian
    http://bspill1.home.comcast.net/index1.html
    they will want the old frame back, for sure

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung

Oh rats, too late, I think he had it welded already this morning. He's had so much trouble trying to get in touch with the company in the past (we were trying to order parts - side guards and new wheels) he didn't even try to call them this time. It's the engineer in him, he likes to fix things!

Good to know for the future though. Thanks!!!

If the frame is made of titanium it has to be welded in an inert environment. That's out of the parameters of most local welding shops. The frame should be replaced. G/L

That seatback latch bolt hole cracking is not as isolated as you would think. I cracked a TR frame in about 2 months on both sides at that location. The cracking is due to the lack of a welded in lug to properly support the stress on that bolt. Your frame cracked due to it being just bare thin-wall tubing there, right? I called TiLite for another frame, where they sent a 'heavy duty' frame with a lug welded in for this bolt hole, that should fix that problem. Oh yeah, while you are at it, you may find that the bolts that hold the backrest to the frame may start snapping on you due to the stress. I am not sure what grade bolts TiLite uses, or if they are even Grade 5 bolts to begin with, you might find that getting some 2" 1/4-28 Grade 8 bolts to change the existing ones may be a good thing to do.

Andy,

Yes, he had the problem with the bolts breaking and these have already been replaced at least once each with higher grade bolts. He thinks that is why the frame cracked - the bolt could handle the stress, so the next thing to go was the frame! When they took it apart to be welded, they found a heavy plastic insert that the bolt goes through - is that what you mean by a lug? It wasn't attached though (good thing too, or he wouldn't have been able to have it welded).

He's going to talk to the company about a new frame, but he did get it welded already - goodness only knows how long it would take to get the new one, and this is the only chair he has at the moment (it's his first one, so no backup yet).

I didnt see any plastic inserts in my frame, but then again, I didnt look. I put a picture of how the new frame came...both backrest mounting points have welded-in lugs vs. just a hole drilled where that latch bolt is.

I called TiLite directly for a replacement frame (I bought the chair from SpinLife). Ask for Mark Westphal, he is the manager over there, bypass the standard 'customer service' which tells you to contact the dealer. Have the serial number of the frame and tell him where it cracked, they will send over another frame. If you already had it welded, well, you needed a working wheelchair in the meantime, right? You didnt weld it for entertainment value!