Thread: Bathtubs

Bathtubs

I am thinking about putting in a bathtub with jets. I already have a roll in shower, but thought it might be nice to soak in a tub. Those of you that have tubs or have used a tub post sci, help. Did you like it? What kind of lifts do you use? Were you scared? Did you slip in the tub? Any advice or suggestions appreciated. Thank you.
    Doreen

There are tub lifts that are designed for this, or you can use a ceiling track lift. Be careful sitting directly on the tub surface though without any padding. I have had a number of patients get pressure ulcers this way. Also be sure that you can safely get in and out on your own, or that you never bathe alone. Tub transfers without a lift can be very hard on your shoulders in the long run as well.

(KLD)

I wonder how a warm bath would effect leg spasticity. I notice after a warm shower that my legs mellow out for several hours.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Hi Doreen,

I have a huge tub, but no jets(darn) and soak in it every other night. I am a walking quad and require no lift but my propioception is pretty bad which makes for terrible balance. I have a rubber mat in the tub and non slip mat outside the tub. Also something to grab when I get in and out. Kld offers good advice. Make sure you are not alone in case of a fall or need help. Also having everything handy like towels ect when you get out of the tub helps. I have it down to a science.

My soaks help tremendously with pain,feel wonderful and I look forward to them. I use good bath salts and bubbles ( I can recommend some), play soothing music and light candles. It is my only true escape and I have made my bathroom my place. It really does help me with the pain and also can soothe me after a very bad day.

Jimnms, you should try it too. You will love it and it will do wonders for you.

Go for it Doreen, you will not regret it.The first time will be scary but you will be ok.

Leia

Ps- I use to live in Oxford and was in Gaylord Rehab for a month, in Wallingford. Did you do any rehab time there?

"Ani't no stopping us now!"

Hi Doreen, if you're going to get one make sure it's big enough for two.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Rick, will get one for two. Is that a proposition?

Leia, Yes I did do my rehab at Gaylord for five months in 92. We were neighbors. When were you there?

Doreen

Originally posted by DOREEN:

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Rick, will get one for two. Is that a proposition?

Leia, Yes I did do my rehab at Gaylord for five months in 92. We were neighbors. When were you there?

Doreen
    proposition,ummm, kind of, well, yeah, that was a proposition. Just waiting for acceptance.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DOREEN:

I was in Gaylord Novemeber of 99 into Dec.

"Ani't no stopping us now!"

Hi
    I am having one of these brought in for a weeks trial.

http://www.dolomitehcp.com/introbathlifts.htm

Doreen, are you a quad or a para? KLD is probably right, have a lift or something. But, my husband does lift himself in and out. He starts from his shower bench which is put across the tub (we don't have a roll-in shower). We put pillows in the tub, he lowers himself, take the pillows out, fill the tub. To get out, reverse. Drain tub, dry, put in the pillows. He scoots forward in the tub, and I put his bench in behind him - then he lifts up onto it. It takes some effort on his part, but he only gets in the tub every once in a great while.

AB wife of T8 complete para