Thread: New car for c4 quad no hands basicly

New car for c4 quad no hands basicly

Can a car be equiped to drive fo a c4 quad with wrist flexors? Not enough finger movement to be beneficial for using hand conrols. I'd like having a nice minivan, but my choices lead to getting a van with a lift and tiedowns, older model VR wont adapt, high mileage. I want my independence but getting a van with just a ramp i'd still be dependant. I've just got to wear i can transfer barely, after 15.4 years and the thought of a car and my limited function is really scary! I only have 5k in cash. I don't know if i could handle the stuggle of transferring but i'm not cancelling that out. If a car can be fixed for a c4 quad with 'lets just say no hand movent, can one be modified for a quad to drive? If this is the case, i may as well pay 5k down on A NEW CAR AND fight the battles of transfering and get a new car. Any suggestions? Thanks:

--fast

Are you really C4? Wrist flexors don't come in until C6. Some people with C6 injuries drive cars, but the transfer and getting the wheelchair loaded in/out of the car is quite a challenge, and it is hard on your shoulders. A van is not as sexy, but will be much more forgiving. Transferring to a seat inside the van is safer and protects you from inclimate weather too.

(KLD)

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

Are you really C4? Wrist flexors don't come in until C6. Some people with C6 injuries drive cars, but the transfer and getting the wheelchair loaded in/out of the car is quite a challenge, and it is hard on your shoulders. A van is not as sexy, but will be much more forgiving. Transferring to a seat inside the van is safer and protects you from inclimate weather too.

(KLD)
    c4-5 inc here and ive always driven a car, i do have a bit of grip. the transfer, was tricky at first but no biggie, after bout 2 weeks. i recomend a intrepid ive had 2, great car for crips