Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving Controls?

Driving Controls?

I need help choosing the best hand controls for my car. If possible I need controls that can easily be transfered from one vehicle to another. Hopefully portability won't affect performance but that may not be possible. Any advice or help on this would be very much appreciated as I embark on yet another new project with this whole thing.

Hello Cali:

I have heard good things about the PHC-III portable hand controls, but I can only imagine why you would need to move hand controls from car to car. I thought I would need that too, but I found it more practical to put permanent controls on all our vehicles and then rent cars with them already installed when I travel. Will that not work for you?

Mike

OK, After doing some research it seems like getting portable hand controls aren't the best idea for my car. So now I have a few questions...

I need to know which controls I should consider and which to avoid. I'm basically a low level para if that's of importance.

Does insurance generally pay for such equipment?

What kind of training, if any, do I need to use the controls?

Thanks!

I guess whatever controls you feel comfortable with...which means 2 choices I think: Push to brake, down to gas; or twist grip for gas, push to brake. I have heard that the twist grip can be tiring, so the other kind is pretty much the most popular. Two manufacturers come to mind, Monarch and MPS. I got MPS in my car, seems pretty nice. It ran around $850 installed with tax, if you buy a new car most manufacturers will reimburse up to $1K for these things. If you are paying out of pocket (which you might, as I havent heard of insurance paying for these, not medically necessary), shop around. I called one place up telling them I wanted hand controls in my new car, the price was immediately 1K, hmmmm. Seems they thought they would price gouge on the assumption that I would think that GM would reimburse me that amount. I went with another dealer who didnt try that BS. As far as training, you might have to get some, as all the dealers around here wanted some sort of training certification on the hand controls before they would install some, liability reasons. You can go to a fancy rehab place and get their $$$$ training (I was quoted a minimum of 8 hours to the tune of $900 for the rehab place here), or call some of the regular driving schools to see if they offer hand control instruction. I got the certificate issue out of the way for $130.00 with 2 hours driving their car around. Good luck!

I have use many types of hand controls for 17 years. I had permanent controlls installed on my Saab, later replaced them with portable hand controls. Avoid the twist grip (motorcycle action) hand controls. Over time, particularly if you driver in traffic, your forearms will begin to suffer. Also, the cables will need replacement periodically and can break while you are driving. The simple more mechanical type are better and very easy and fast to install on any vehicle (some portable hand controls do not work on every car). I have seen three general kinds of hand controls; push for break and down for gas, push for brake and twist for gas, or the simplest (and best) push for break and pull for gas.

I've got s "suregrip" in my van- works great. Push for brake, and kind of pull / roll it for gas. Easy to drive with 1 hand and get a drink, lite a smoke, have some McBreakfast, whatever. There's also a little 4 way switch I can easily hit with the pinkie- left / right for blinkers, up for lights, and back for horn.
    I tried the push-to-stop, push-down-to-go kind, and found it self-limiting at about 55mph when it hit my leg. A quick modification to the control wires with my gerber and I was able to hit about 65, but the whole thing pretty much sucked. Took 2 hands to drive, all the time.
    Insurance picked it up, but they paid for the whole van, dunno if they would go for it as an 'upgrade'.

http://krstofer.org

Originally posted by krstofer:

I tried the push-to-stop, push-down-to-go kind, and found it self-limiting at about 55mph when it hit my leg. A quick modification to the control wires with my gerber and I was able to hit about 65, but the whole thing pretty much sucked. Took 2 hands to drive, all the time.
    Control wires? What brand was that? Sounds pretty hoaky to make a control with cables, I'd think it would get out of adjustment all the time. I have the push-stop, down-go in my car, adjusted almost right up to the steering wheel, and driving one handed is pretty easy, just keep your thumb on the steering wheel. Flooring it involves about 4 inches travel down, but I am thinking of adjusting it more hair-trigger like when I get some time, looks like there is some room still to change the lever ratios for the gas. Of course cruise control in your vehicle is a must for long trips too.

I use the Monarch Mark 1-A Hand Controls.
    http://www.freedomdrivingaids.com/br...monarch-1.html
    They work great for me..Stiggy

"The Meaning of things lies not in things themselves,but in our attitude towards them"

I am also looking for handcontrols, used, push down for brake, not twist for gas. If anyone has any Please let me know. Thanks
    jazztogo2000@yahoo.com

Try this. It works for me and is very sturdy and reliable. They also have a portable one, though I Have not seen it.

http://www.suregrip-hvl.com/