Thread: Spinal Infarct - Dr. Young

Spinal Infarct - Dr. Young

I know you're very busy Dr. Young but, i would really appreciate it if you could explain to me what a Spinal Infarct is. I was involved in a MVA in 1996 and as a result of an Aorto rupture, i suffered a spinal infarct between T8 & T11, leaving me an incomplete para. My doc said that my spine wasn't compressed or fractured but, the blood supply to these levels was cut off. Is there any surgical procedure to rectify an injury like this? Your comments as well as others is highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Shawn,

An infarct is when there is severe damage due to loss of blood flow. For example, if an artery to your heart gets blocked, you get a myocardial infarct.

The spinal cord receives over 50% of its blood supply from an artery that comes from the aorta. Called the artery of Adamkiewicz, this artery usually enters the spinal cord at about T10 and connects up with the anterior spinal artery that runs along the front midline of your spinal cord. It supplies most of the front and central part of your spinal cord.

An infarct at T9-10 is the most common place to have a spinal cord infarct after an accident that damages the thoracic aorta. Surgery will not fix the problem. On the other hand, because the spinal cord does not have neurons at T8-10, regenerative therapies should restore function.

Because an anterior spinal artery problem at T9-10 may leave some of the posterior spinal cord intact, you should have some sensory function remaining. Is this true? How are the muscles in your legs? Is there evidence of atrophy of the muscles in your legs? When did this occur?

Wise.

Thank you for responding Dr. Young. Yes, i do have some sensory function and voluntary movement below the injury level. I can walk with a pair of forearm crutches by locking both knees - hyper-extention. My quad and calve muscles were the first to return within two years of my injury and ever since, i've been trying to get it stronger but, it's been a very slow process thus far.I also have return of some of my hip and buttock muscles and i can move my toes down as well as open it. On my right foot, i can lift my toes up very slightly. I also have very bad "drop-foot" on both legs.

Spinal Cord Circulation

Shawn, you may find this article written by Dr. Young helpful in understanding the circulation of the spinal cord:

http://carecure.rutgers.edu/spinewir...cischemia.html

(KLD)

Shawn you should feel lucky

I suffered anterior spinal artey syndrome at T9-10 in June of 2000 and have not showed any improvement. My sensation was pretty much the same. Almost full sensation except for hot and cold below the knee. As far as movement, I can hike my hip up a little and my muscles in my lower stomach work, but thats it. I think my doctors really expected more return(so did I). My legs are totally flacid and I have no spasms. I think it is wonderful that you got some movement back and are able to use crutches and braces. I also found Dr. Young's article very very helpful in explaining things. Thanks

Becky - yes, i was lucky to recover to where i am now and i'm grateful. From what you've said about having some feeling and some muscles working, i take it you have an incomplete injury. With that being the case and the fact that you're not two years post as yet, there's still hope for more recovery. Most doctors believe that, if an SCI patient does receover, most of it will happen in the first two years but, don't rule out the possibility that you can still recover after the two year mark. You just have to have hope, determination and the will to improve.

Dr. Young

Thank you for your tremendous efforts and optimism battling SCI. I wonder if you might be able to provide some recommendations or information. Specifically, I am searching for information about the prospects of new therapies for my injury. I am a complete T-10 para the result of a transected thoracic aorta (MVA) when I was 18 years old. I am 18 years post injury am fortunate to be/have been very active with no major health issues. While information about SCI is plentiful, specifics about cases like mine seem difficult to come by.

I realize the rarity of my injury may preclude there being much specific research. That said, I am hopeful that there are data/methods of which I am unaware to assess my condition as it relates to future therapies.

I greatly appreciate any information or suggestions you may have. Please keep up the good work.

Thank you.

"Control your destiny or someone else will"
    - Jack Welch