Thread: spasm allows me voluntary movement

spasm allows me voluntary movement

I discovered that when my legs are spasming that i can voluntarily move my ankle, toes and my leg.
    The movement in my leg is fairly weak but i can move the knee upwards and down.
    The movement in my ankle and toes is competely normal movement.
    When i'm not in spasm i can feel flickers but there is nothing visual.
    I'm only 4 months post and seem to be an abnormal t4 asia B.
    I'd love to know what this means and is this a normal thing?? What can i do to strengthen theses responses and maybe use them non-spasm??
    Please help Dr, Nurse and others!!!

Nik, it is good news. This is often the way people see function returning when you can enhance or suppress spasms, or move during a spasm when the excitability of your spinal cord is increased. You are still early after your injury. You have much recovery ahead, I believe. Wise.

Please see my response on your duplicate post here.

(KLD)

Nik,
    With what you have described here, it would be GREAT if you could get to a place like Project Walk in California. It is expensive but with your description, I would move a mountain to see if I could come up with the money to go. Insurance doesnt cover it, but maybe you could have a benefit. I see now that you live in Australia. Quite a journey that would be, but you definitely need some really good agressive therapy.

Wow. I have no idea what ASIA A, B, C, D, etc. means and I've been spinal cord injured for 20 years!! LOL
    Is this a newer labelling system? All I know is that I am t-5 inc.
    What does the ASIA system stand for?

Thanks.

The ASIA system for categorizing injuries has been around for at least 30 years. Here is an article that Dr. Young wrote that you may find helpful:

Spinal cord injury classification

(KLD)

Nik, yes try biofeedback if available there. And/or get some FES. Work with it and keep at it. If you have someone to do therapy with you, have them try exercises/stretching ab of sorts that they can apply to you at the very least! Try and find ways to improve the control it seems you have going~ my best to you! ~T
    Oh, an afterthought~ swimming, get in a pool one way or another.

Thankyou! i have so much hope!

I got them to try the FES, and i'm going swimming on Tuesday. With the FES how can i be aiding whats happening? Seems that the machine is doing it all.

sorry for the double posting. wasn't sure where to put it.

You need the FES to get the muscle strong enough so that you can then start to do resistive exercises (usually a grade 3 muscle). Meanwhile, while using the FES, try thinking about and trying to contract your muscle at the same time. It does help.

(KLD)

Nik, I think you can get a fair amount of recovery from what you describe. I'm a T-7/8 incomplete, and it took 3months before I saw any movement at all. At present, my right leg is getting some decent return, though not strong enough to stand or walk yet. Left leg does not show much return so far, but does have more feeling in it. Next week will be 6 months since injury, and I still am working hard to get the left leg going. You must do the same,so as not to lose what you have recovered. Keep at it, and good things will happen. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress....John