Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Return after 2 years

i am 4 long yr but last nite i picked my right for the first tiime not once but several 2 months ago i started picking my left foot up . i am laying down on couch when i do ab muscle working where i can pull in gut almost 2 "

i start a new rehad at shepard the 19 praise the LORD its a start

Yes I am a complete. I don't think working out really does squat if your a complete besides giving you overal good health.

I still hit the gym. And well i haven't got squat back. It's not really in our control or choice what we get back. Plus most of the incompletes that get a lot of return is just merely swelling going down in the cord. Completes that get their cord basically severed like mine can't rely on that. We are going to rely on crazy nerve growth factors along with a monthly splash of stem cells. And tons of time 5+ years. But that's just my prediction that will come about 45+ years from now.

Red face I dont get it....

I am complete T-12. Work what... their is nothing to work in my case. If you mean , have someone pump my legs daily and keep my flexability, yes we do this. But I cant WORK anything, "cause NOTHING works"????? I hear this Idea about "keep working" it will come back. I have had extensive therapy, spent thousands of dollars... thousands!!! ... No return, no feeling, absolutly nothing after exactly 2 years of Theraphy. So I guess I get a little irritated and do not understand the definition of KEEP WORKING. Im not trying to be a smart ass... believe me, Id do about anthing to feel my ass again, but I dont think there is anything to work! I knew the second I was injured that it was bad. My doctors told me, I really crushed my cord had many bone fragments penetrate the cord and stretched my cord sideways several inches... I was told immediatly after surgery that my injury was very severely and I should not expect much return. Unfortunatly, in my case, he might be right! I would love to prove him wrong. Any suggestions, Pleaase.. Im positve and open to suggestions. Thanks, Mikey!
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

Mike, some people do have truely complete injuries, but most now days are incomplete. If someone is incomplete, then it is usually possible to get stronger in muscles that do return with therapy. I don't think anyone here meant to imply that lack of return or being incomplete is somehow a personal fault or due to lack of work. It is luck of the draw for the most part. I am sure you know though that what you do with what you have IS up to you...that is the message.

(KLD)

i just visited a local rehab center that i will attend. there was a guy there who did no rehab for two years. he had nothing below his waist when he showed up. with hard work, he was on the lite-gait swinging his own legs 6 mos. later and improving weekly. nothing is impossible

KLD is right, My injury was 3 years ago, in December, the last 12 months have been the best, I tried very hard in the beginning, only to get setbacks, not that they are uncommon, but it did depress me. The harder you work at it the more you are likly to see improvement. Mine is finally paying off. Don't be afraid to try, there is no magic bullet yet, and even if there is one, if you don't try to keep up, you'll never be able to accomplish, what can be done. You are not a child anymore, it is harder than you may want to think, keep your body, as best you can, it will be easier if, and, when, that time comes, who knows? Maybe you can get back alot of what seems lost. Keep on pluggin!!!

When deliberating on the value of exercise, please consider that even if you do not get to use function of additional muscles - you may get additional function of the muscles you use. End result = more function.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Prof. Wheelchair Rider, I moved your post over to a separate thread on the Recovery & Exercise forum where you will get more appropriate attention and responses.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    U ARE CORRECT...........i had return up through 5 yrs.......the harder you work out the more u get baqck.

Balls... I sweated my balls off every day in physio and got no return. I usted to walk around the gym in a frame. Swam 3 times a week too and not a thing returned

everybodys injury is different. it has more to do with how badly your spinal cord was injured than how much ya work out. think about it.