Thread: can you go backwards

can you go backwards

i have been sci since 5/28/01 c6 c7 my hands are starting to curl really bad. i took therapy and have splints for night but i must admit i have be so tired i forget but i won/t any more as the ight in morning is bad but during day losen up any idea doc says just tendons tighting up but i amscared of going backwards i heard some where you can?

Has your strength or sensation decreased at all? If not, it is unlikely that you have a complication such as a syrinx.

You need to do range of motion properly with your hands daily. Were you taught how to do this? You may also need medications for spasticity if this is interfering with your ROM. Slight tightening in the finger tendons is desirable at your level to make your tenodesis more functional, but excess flexion can interfere. Is your physician a physiatrist who specializes in SCI? If not, you may want to seek one out. You should also see an experienced SCI OT.

(KLD)

Hubby has been having similar problem with his legs (t10). His left foot has been curling in, his legs are very tight and no matter how much stretching/ROM we do, he is still tight. He just had an x-ray done of his spine, there is a piece of loose bone below his bottom fusion. His SCI doc is suppose to consult with neurosurgeon so now we are waiting for a call.

no my strenght has actually got stronger no they didn/t on my hands but the rest of me they . i went to theraphy and they did. but it doesn/t seem to help the right is really curling.

I had a similar problem with my right hand. I have been getting botox injections for two+ years now to relax the spasticity and keep my fingers from curling into a fist. It takes some experimentation with the doctor to get the dosage right. I get reinjected about every four months. Check with your physiatrist to see if this is appropriate for you. I'm a C6 injured March 2001.