Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 Years after SCI

Return

Rehabrhino, I started feeling back feelings and muscles back then. In a couple weeks it will be 3 yrs for me and this past week I've been working through the largest chunk of return yet!!

What feels like 2" of spine in my lower back has come back. Stomach and side muscles and lower back muscles that allow me to sit up better are getting stronger every day. It feels good! My torso spacticity changes everyday.

I would like to think that the excercise I do is helping this happen. I swim, walk on an elliptical trainer, ride a handbike, ski, pedal a stationary bike or something everyday. I call it activity-based therapy or living! I hope it continues!

BTW I'm weaning slowly off baclofen. Pat

2 years to the day my bladder function returned. Maybe 2 is the lucky anniversary.
    Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey.
    Always remember: if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

It's been 21 months for me, and I'm old. I'm just now getting sensation back and feeling my stomach and side muscles again. I'm doing 'semi' leg lifts to get my flat stomach back. I may always have that "pooch" on the left side where my colon likes to hang out,,,but by golly I'm gonna' give it a run for it's money.

My gait is improving with that "Tony's gazelle" equipment and I'm getting some improvement on the heel to toe support as well. The ball of my foot will hold me now if I try to lift my toes. It's still not a perfect walk by any standard, but even the painful heels are getting less and less. Don't give up on your exercises. I'm always trying new ones so do any and everything you possibly can and stay with the routine.
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

I take part in a research fitness group and there are people who are several years post, one of them 9 years post who are still getting return!
    WORK OUT, WORK OUT, WORK OUT!
    Sitting on your butt will help your body atrophy that much quicker, enervating your body may help retrain neural pathways. In my oppinion when it comes to PT and exercise, THERE IS NO FINISH LINE!
    Screw the two year mark, its a historical statistic, one that we SCI's can change

THERE IS NO FINISH LINE.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

KVP612, I second that! I'm 9 days away from 3 yrs and I woke up today feeling hip muscles that just spasmed yesterday! It's a wild yet comforting feeling. I'm off to the pool before work to test my new muscles! Pat

Reading what has been posted sure does give hope. My daughter who is c5-c7 who now seems to be in the t11 range, has done nothing but improved for the 3 years since her injury. She has water therapy, horseback riding therapy, physical therapy and excercises at home. Plus with her being only 7 years old, she is constantly on the go. She is going through some excessive tingeling in her abdomen and now she has feeling in her hip area. In 3 years time she regained from her shoulders to her hip. It has come to me to accept today but have faith and hope for tomorrow. Plus never truely beleive what the dr.s tell you, for she was supposed to be like Christopher Reeve.

Never Give Up Hope

The ability of the mind, body, spirit to heal one self is an energy that is only begining to be understood in western medicine and philosophy. Sure, physical recovery slows down after a two year period, it did for me. What did not slow down was my mental and emotional recovery. This recovery is as important or even more important than the physical. As with the physical recovery, the emotional and spiritual recovery is a personal choice. When done in a healthy, open manner the human mind, body and spirt will continue to blossom. The physical recovery may slow but many aspects of this recovery are derived from the emotional and spiritual properties.

In short, never give up on yourself. Continue to grow in all aspects of your life. Realize that the down moments are as important as the up side, just try to not stay down. Most important, it's a personal choice on how we live our lives and drive our own recovery from this catostrophic injury. Choose to go forward.

Bob c5/6 ASIA d

Quote Originally Posted by rwm
    The ability of the mind, body, spirit to heal one self is an energy that is only begining to be understood in western medicine and philosophy. Sure, physical recovery slows down after a two year period, it did for me. What did not slow down was my mental and emotional recovery. This recovery is as important or even more important than the physical. As with the physical recovery, the emotional and spiritual recovery is a personal choice. When done in a healthy, open manner the human mind, body and spirt will continue to blossom. The physical recovery may slow but many aspects of this recovery are derived from the emotional and spiritual properties.

In short, never give up on yourself. Continue to grow in all aspects of your life. Realize that the down moments are as important as the up side, just try to not stay down. Most important, it's a personal choice on how we live our lives and drive our own recovery from this catostrophic injury. Choose to go forward.

Bob c5/6 ASIA d
    Bob, thank you so much for that post. What an inspiration, and a reminder of the truly important things..... very, VERY well said.

~ Moe
    Mrapunzel

Fear Less... Hope More...
    Whine Less... Breathe More...
    Talk Less... Say More...
    Hate Less... Love More...
    And All Good Things Are Yours.