Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Check out my girl

Excellent work. Thats zoe girl a christian rock group, cool song.

- I am a bomb technition, if you see me running try to keep up.

- Dont argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

- Some peeps are only alive because its illegal to kill them.

You're right Solar, she loves that group and the song really seemed to fit.

I love all of you guys and gals !

Question for Dr. Young and SCI Nurse: Seeing what you've just seem and being almost 7 mo. post, what do you think in regards to future return. I know that everyones different, but my Sarah is thinking that what she's going through is temporary and is fighting for her healing. She's not giving in to any negativity and neither are we (we had a lot of that early on). I just fear that some day soon, all this return stuff is gonna stop, and I don't want it to stop.

I just want to know what you think in regards to future return.

Thanks

Rick

I agree everyone is different. Of course becuase this part of the body is very complicated, one of the reasons there is not a cure yet.

When i was first hurt i laid on the side of the road totally aware and completley paralyzed from the waist down, l1 burst fracture. I think i could twitch my right leg some.

After a month in the hospital/rehab place, i worked very hard to walk. I started by just trying to stand for 5 min, which would make me sick and want to pass out, it wore me out, it was a strange feeling going from very active and healthy to not even having the strength to stand for a couple minutes.

I eventually started to use the walker then eventually crutches to cane then to wearing an AFO brace then to having no assitance at all. I am not sure why or how i got so much return, maybe it was how or where i injured my cord or maybe it was the fact that i had two lamenectomies and fusion surgery within 5 hours of the wreck. I also had the massive amounts of steriods within 45 min of the accident.

Her being able to stand up like that and walk with the walker in 7 months says alot. I think she'll get stronger with what she has. They would look at my leg and tell me to move it, i would get a flicker and they said thats good enough, now lets make it stronger! and it got stronger over time, i think i leveled out at about 2 years, i walk now so it kinda like a perpetual thing, which makes more strength thus more activity and so on.

Let us know how she gets a long and post some more cool videos and you are awesome to be by her side, there are some on here including me where the other person left from being overwhelmed. You are also doing great. Keep it up man.

- I am a bomb technition, if you see me running try to keep up.

- Dont argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Rick, it's impossible to predict, but at 7 months post, it's quite likely she'll see additional return.

In my case, I didn't even stand until 9 months, and that was with a KAFO brace on my right leg and with lots of assistance in the parallel bars. I was firmly in my wheelchair for a year and a half. Now at four years post, I walk with a cane. A year ago I used forearm crutches and walked at half the speed (or less) than I do now. I'm pushing for all I can get and the end of the story is still not written.

The vibration you describe sounds like clonus, a form of spaticity in the ankle and lower leg. I get it sometimes, especially if I have exercised, and if my leg is in just the right (or wrong) position. I sometimes get spasms in my lower legs, especially my weak one, after exercise too.

Sarah's a trooper .. she'll need that to get all she can. I wish you both the very best!

Rick, i hope your daughter is getting along well. I am sure she is still having wierd sensations still creeping up being so relatively early in the healing process. Hope she continues to improve. Take care!

Originally posted by solarscar69:

Rick, i hope your daughter is getting along well. I am sure she is still having wierd sensations still creeping up being so relatively early in the healing process. Hope she continues to improve. Take care!
    Thanks solar,

She's doing good, it's just I want more return NOW!! The longer this recovery takes, the more anxeity I feel. Some days I feel so blessed, and other days I want to crawl in a hole somewhere and just cry.

Last Monday was beautiful, weather wise (70). So after school, I had Sarah walk from the top of the driveway all the way to the house. She didn't want to do it, didn't think she could, and proceeded to cry and complain. But she did it, all 170 feet, plus two ramps. And you know, the farther she went, the better the steps looked. But man was she mad at me. But that's OK, I can take it.

Sarah's limits, I think, are just as much mental as they are physical. Just because she couldn't do something a month or two ago, doesn't mean she can't do them today. I'm convinced that she doesn't know her limits, because she doesn't push hard enough to find out where they are.

For instance, last night we were doing assisted sit-ups that we learned at Project Walk. After 3 sets of 12, we started talking about how she was always the class champ at doing sit ups in school whenever they did the Presidential Fitness test each year. She could do 50 in a minute. Anyway, she decided to see if she still had it and she gave me her stop watch to time her. Are you ready for this, she did 38 assisted sit ups in 1 min., and I wasn't helping that much at all, just for balance. Man, her face was red while she was going for it. When the time was up, I couldn't speak, all I could do was stare at her with the biggest smile on my face. Remember, she's T5. I got up and ran to go tell her Mom . Very cool.

She's a tough kid, not much complaining, but isn't very self motivated for PT stuff.

She's starting to notice the para belly a little bit, so I'm going to use her that to get her to do more ab work.

But I tell ya, we need to get a PT in here to work with her soon. I'm no therapist and it's hard enough just being Dad (I've got 2 other younger kids), much less the 'slave driver' as well. We quit going to UVA (1hr - 1 day wk) when we got back from PW. We just felt the sessions were somewhat 'soft' and only lasted for 1 hr and was 50 miles one way. We're hoping to find someone who perhaps can come to the house or may be closer to home with a big emphasis on pushing her to get the most she can.

I feel in my heart that the return is there for the taking, just got to go get it. And I've got this constant clock ticking in my head that time is working against us. That the window of opportunity for more return is slowly closing. Man, it's all too much sometimes. I just wish I could trade bodies with her or something.

Oh well, I'm going to order a Total Gym today. She got a good workout on it at PW and I'm ready for more exercises.

Sorry to be so winded, thanks for checking in on us.

Your Friend,

Rick

Rick, I so admire you. I think in your place I would be doing and saying everything you are doing and saying. The psychological issues are so complicated--and you never quite know what exactly it's like to be in her body, so the risk is always there that you might push too hard, or not hard enough. So frustrating!

It doesn't help that Sarah is just at the age where she's supposed to be resisting your authority and testing your limits and flexing her own muscles. At some point, she's going to grab hold of this re-hab thing in a serious way, and not because you want her to.

Your life and mine have strange parallels. I also have a 14-yr-old daughter. She was skiing alone in the high country with Bruce when he got hurt 4 years ago. As terrified as I was about his chances, I was equally aware that I had to pay attention to what the accident did to her.

She had to go through 18 months of watching him struggle to breathe and sit up and e v e r s o s l o w l y get stronger, tiny bit by tiny bit--all the while grieving for her lost daddy and feeling a little responsible for what had happened. (The last run was her idea.)

I wanted to push her into talking. Forget it. I wanted to push the two of them into somehow processing their joint loss. Not my call. I wanted so much to help her regain her old careless, joyful attitude. Impossible, for a long, long time.

I've been thinking about your post in Caregivers the other day . . . hope everything's okay.

Its tuff. I know that i can be mental. I hated going to rehab early on since i am impatient anyways about stuff and the recovery was not coming back as fast i wanted it to. Right after a SCI the body reacts in a bad way and it feels so foreign so it takes a while and the worse the injury, probably takes even longer, but of course all SCI are all so different as is everyones recovery, function, pain, mental state and so on. It all kinda plays in together. It does probably seem like all you got to do is make her exercise, but its more. I can only imagine what she's going through being at that age since it really is when your anti-dad, in some form of degree or another. I am sure you remember being 14.

Walking that distance seems like a very good thing and with work i can't see why it wouldn't still improve. Muscles waste quick when not being used so make sure shes doing something with them muscles. My legs atrophied in one month more then i could imagine and it took me a good 1.5 years to really come around and notice improvements in walking. Hang in there. You guys sound like you have a lot of faith. That is also good. Hope everything keeps moving along for your family and Sarah. Be sure to check in and let us know how shes doing. Be sure to tell her that there is hope. I was completely paralyzed with minor twitches from the waist down after my wreck. I am now walking unassisted all day long without any assitance at all. I worked hard at rehab, but the most came back when i was strong enough to do normal everyday activities. It will just start to snowball, but it can have a negative domino effect if she doesn't move them muscles.

Exercising is generally not a fun thing for anyone even with AB people, imagine those same exercises being about 100 times harder then before.... You guys will make it. You sound strong and so does she. All the best to you.

Take care Rick.

Thanks Solar & Kate. I appreciate your support more than you can imagine.

We're gonna be OK, I just need to hear it every once in a while.

Rick

[This message was edited by rickhemi on 03-11-05 at 08:41 AM.]

New picsin the member forum.

Sarah continues to improve...walked on crutches for the first time on Monday (4/25/05). Pretty unstable..but looked good. It's coming...just gonna take some time.

I hope everyone is well and blessed.

Rick

[This message was edited by rickhemi on 04-28-05 at 08:33 AM.]