Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Check out my girl

Sweet 16!

Here are some recent pic's from Sarah's surprise birthday party. The party was put together by my wife and her 'girl's youth bible study'. All these girls have been a HUGH part of Sarah's recovery. Lots of support, but no sympathy. They've been great at keeping it 'real' and making sure she never missed a beat.

The second pic is one of my wife and I serving Sarah's fav, prime rib and garlic mashed potatos.
    Last edited by rickhemi; 11-21-2006 at 04:32 PM.
    Rick

GO FORWARD! 2 FIGHT! PARALYSIS!

Looks like it was a great party!

I still think you are going to have your hands full keeping the boys at bay. She is a beautiful girl. I did a surprise party for my daughters sixteenth although she was very surprised and upset because I had kept something from her. She is very shy.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

A Wonderful Weekend

Hi folks,

I thought now would be a good time for an update, since I'm kinda laid-up. But I'll get back to this later.

This past Wenesday began our churches annual production of Bethlehem Walk, which is an outdoor journey that takes you through the town of Bethlehem at the time of Christ's birth. And then continues through his ministry, all the way to the empty tomb. It's put on by a cast of 300+ and it lasts for 5 nights. Last yr. we had over 10,000 folks go through and we're expecting to exceed that this yr.

One of the most popular scenes is the 'manger' scene, which every year has been presented by a very musically gifted family. The scene includes Joseph (Dad). the angel (Mom), and Mary (one of their 3 daughters). The 3 actors harmonize a beautiful melody while Mary holds a live sleeping (mostly) baby. Well, this year, all 3 daughters are in college, so since they knew that Sarah liked to sing, and sings rather well, they asked her to be Mary this yr. It has been the most magical 5 days Sarah has experienced in her 16 yrs so far. She is doing an incredible job, and gets compliments galore. I hope her head hasn't swelled too much.

She has performed every night (5-6 hrs. a night). And while we had planned to take Friday off, for therapy and personal issues. once the day came, Sarah was still very upset about missing one day. So we made a deal that after therapy was over, we'd drive her straight to BW and do BM Sat. morning, instead of Friday night. She's there right now as I'm typing this.

Well, I play Joseph at the temple primarily, and spell Joseph at the manger a little. On Saturday I was helping to get the animals situated by helping to tie down posts that had to be uprooted by a Bobcat tractor, not a little one, but a big one. I ended up getting a little too comfortable around the tractor and had the mishap of being too close. IT RAN OVER MY FOOT! At first everything just kinda tingled and became numb. I walked it off and had the nurse on duty look at it. She recommended ice and elevation, but it was show time and I choose to kinda see what happens. I lasted 1.5 hrs at the temple, but got to the point where I could not climb the steps the scene required without a bit of a delay. Each time I was taking longer and longer to get up the steps. So I called for a replacement and went over to the manger scene, figuring I could give it's Joseph a break before having to leave. That scene only required sitting and standing. I lasted an hr with Sarah in that scene before needing to sit and take another look at my foot.

I went to the break tent, took off my shoe and sock, and the nurse said "Go home now while you can still drive your car." I woke up this morning and couldn't apply any pressure on the foot. Wife took me to doc and had xrays. Broken bone in foot. So now it's in a splint and I'll need to see an ortho. tomorrow to get casted.

The worst part was that I was scheduled to be Joseph at the manger all day today with Sarah, fore the Baileys were not able to be there tonight. Oh well, they were able to find another Joseph and I'm on docs orders to lay on couch, keep foot elevated, and watch lots of football, lol.

Thanks for keeping me company tonight, I'll post some pics of the event later.

nite-nite
    Last edited by rickhemi; 12-03-2006 at 08:11 PM.
    Rick

Ouch! Rick, I hope your foot heals soon.
    Daniel

Thanks Dan, I now have a cast from my toes to just below my knee. The worst part is that it's on my right foot, so no driving my truck. And no putting weight on it. 6 weeks.

It's given me a better appreciation of Sarah's delimma. I find it a major pain in the *** to walk and to not have my hands free for anything else but hold crutches. Feeling kinda useless around the house. Poor wife, just what she needed, lol.

QUESTION:

I think it's time for me to move away from the "New SCI" forum (2.5 yrs post), perhaps going to the "Life" forum. Not sure whether to just start a new thread, or move this one over. Can anyone help me with this?
    Rick

I think it's time for me to move away from the "New SCI" forum (2.5 yrs post), perhaps going to the "Life" forum. Not sure whether to just start a new thread, or move this one over. Can anyone help me with this?

I think a new thread is a good idea. This one will be archived indefinitely so you can always link to it. It belongs in the New SCI Forum. Perhaps you could begin anew in the Family Forum? I want to hear how the driving is going. This is just a suggestion.

Best wishes to you and the family for the Holidays.

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Hi Rick, the Bethlehem Walk is amazing. I'm so happy for Sarah that she can be a part of something like that. I'd love to be there to hear her sing.

Sorry to hear about your foot. I'm sending you a prayer for healing. BTW, did they really have Bobcats back then in Bethlehem? Rather I'd picture you getting your foot stepped on by an ox instead ( this is my lame attempt at a joke )

I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by john smith
    Hi Rick;

I think a new thread is a good idea. This one will be archived indefinitely so you can always link to it. It belongs in the New SCI Forum. Perhaps you could begin anew in the Family Forum? I want to hear how the driving is going. This is just a suggestion.

Best wishes to you and the family for the Holidays.

John
    Will do.

Here's wishing the Smith family a Wonderful Christmas and a Miraculous New Year!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bruce
    Hi Rick, the Bethlehem Walk is amazing. I'm so happy for Sarah that she can be a part of something like that. I'd love to be there to hear her sing.

Sorry to hear about your foot. I'm sending you a prayer for healing. BTW, did they really have Bobcats back then in Bethlehem? Rather I'd picture you getting your foot stepped on by an ox instead ( this is my lame attempt at a joke )

I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas!
    Thanks for the prayers brother.

Sarah's pic did make it in the local paper, but it's not on their website, so no link. I liked your jokes, it is funny how it happened.

Tell Kate and the girls hello from the far East.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well.
    Rick