Thread: finger movement

finger movement

I was wondering what the norm for finger movement recovery is in C6/7 incomplete.7 wks. post injury.
    My friend is concerned because his finger movement is basically null. He was really hoping to get some movement back in his fingers.
    Any advice? Has anyone had experience with slow to return finger movement?

Cam.
    Country Girls Get It Done..

See past the bad on the surface.
    Look for,and embrace the good.
    on the inside..
    Life is short..Treasure the simple things along the way.

at this level i think finger movement depends on the extent of the injury. i also have an incomplete c-6/7 spinal cord injury and initially after my accident my hands were not affected, as the days passed i gradually lost finger movement. i was fortunate that i retained enough finger movement in my right hand. my left hand is another story. at 7 weeks post i had not the slightest movement in my left hand although i had normal sensation. i am 2 years post and my left hand has regained some movement, although it is minimal. i am able to grab some things, but my biggest obstacle is the tightness in my hand from non-use. the best advice i could give your friend is to consistently try to move his hand AND have someone stretch his hand. in the past two years i have regained the flexor muscles in my hand, but spasticity/tightness has made it difficult to open my hand even though some of those muscles are working. the best thing to do is to avoid contractures by daily stretching and some kind of resting splint so if he gets return, he will not have to deal with contractures/tightness that could possibly limit his range/movement.

Cam, C6 controls wrist extensors and C7 controls the triceps. C8 and T1 move the fingers. C6 does allow the person to cock the hand up towards the thumb. Wise.

Cam, while it is certainly hopeful that your friend is incomplete, this does not necessarily mean that he is guaranteed to get back individual finger function. Many people do not, even with an incomplete injury.

Is he still getting therapy? Does he have any individual finger movement, even if just a trace? Generally this would be if he had gained back strong triceps and wrist flexion and extension first. If he has even slight movement, this may be strengthened by the use of isolated FES.

He also needs to take advantage of all the OT he can now to learn how to function with just his tenodesis grip without individual finger function. There is much he can do with this, either alone or with functional splinting, but often people are resistant to learning different techniques because they are waiting for return. Insurance will not pay for OT forever.

I would also second darkwavs recommendation to be sure his hand it properly ranged and positioned so that if he does get return he is not fighting spasticity and contractures that may further limit him.

(KLD)

I am also a C6/7 incomplete inury. I had relatively little finger movement at all until a year or so ago (I'm 2 yrs post). It came back slow, but I just kept strengthening them as much as I could. My hands are pretty strong now and continue to get better.

http://curlieqcarrie.friendpages.com/
    Live for today because yesterdays are over and tomorrows may never come.

he was having some very slight finger movements about 1 hr after his accident and he could raise his arms some also.his arms have pretty much stayed the same throughout, although he just told me this week that his triceps are getting some strength back.He has some sensation and twitches at times in his fingers/hands, but not really any controled movements in that area post surgery..
    He is furiously working at it all the time.
    He has very rigorus PT/OT at Thoms.
    he had flipped his self from side to back in bed with very minimal help using his elbow and upper arm.He has had small spurts of movement in his toes on one foot.And Some Tingling in his legs.
    He is full of motivation, so I'm sure thats to his favor also.
    His Wife kind of suddenly Decided that she didnt want to be married to him anymore 2 weeks ago...
    But he is trying to focus on his treatment as best he can..
    I will make sure to tell him all your great advice and see to it that he gets the right treatments as best I can.
    Thanks SO much Dr.Young And all of you.
    All the advice or opinions you can give, I will greatly appreciate.keep em comin
    I feel so relieved to have found this forum when I did.

Cam.

on the inside..

Originally posted by Wise Young:

Cam, C6 controls wrist extensors and C7 controls the triceps. C8 and T1 move the fingers. C6 does allow the person to cock the hand up towards the thumb. Wise.
    Wise,
    My son is supposed to be Asia A, C5 complete. He is 11 months post injury. however he now has triceps and trace thumb movement. Does that mean he is incomplete? He does not have anal sensation, which is used to determine Asia score.

my friend also has no real anal sensation but there is some tone there
    and he can squeeze very slightly.
    What does this suggest??

Cam.

on the inside..

Sanadams and Cam.. .. How old is your son Sanadams?? My son has exactly the same injusy and also a diving accident. He is 6 months post. He jst beginning to move his thumbs and has the beginnings of triceps and wrists. He is also officially a ASIA A. In our case he can't feel feel a pinprick in his anus.. but can feel pressure during the shower. At times when he is tired he can feel pressure when a suppository is inserted. He can also feel when he is being cathed at times. Since your son has the same sensory and motor functioning as my son, they nee to be re-classified. Personally, i think they are a ASIA B.According to the SCI Nurse here" Any sensation near the anus and genitals can be used to be a ASIA B.