Thread: Rate of return

Rate of return

New question:

For all those of you with injuries around L1 (where my burst fracture occurred) and who didn't have any motor function at the time of injury:

How long did it take for some motor to come back, and how did that return progress?

I was injured Nov 23, 2004, and I still have no motor function below the injury. I'm worried but hopeful.

Do you have any sensory return? This often is ahead of any motor return.

While statistically most return occurs in the first 3 months, everyone is different.

Keep in mind that while most injuries are incomplete, many are complete. Many people never get any return. This is nearly impossible to predict from the actual injury.

It is important to keep in good shape, keep your ROM good, take care of your skin, etc. to maximize your health. Eat properly. Everything related to your health is inter-related.

It is also important to get on with your life. Sitting around waiting for return is not productive either. Go back to work. Volunteer for cure advocacy groups. Participate in the planned March on Washington DC. Write letters to legislators about cure technology funding and stem cell research.

(KLD)

I agree it varies widely with the outcome, return rate and at what level. I was in an MVA and sustained an L1 burst. I laid there and i could not get up. I could twitch my right leg and my left was pretty much completely paralyzed. I had decompression and fusion within 5 hours and i came out of it being able to move both legs. My left foot had bad foot drop where i had to wear an afo to keep from tripping. Over the period of two years, i got stonger in my legs and feet and kicked the afo. Of course my legs are still weak as some nerve paths were affected but the major ones to get me up where spared or not as badly affected. I consider myself lucky. I walked out of rehab after 1 month, barely. Keep hope man, you may pull around, get stronger and you'll move on but i agree its tuff any way you look at it. Keep up the good work.

- I am a bomb technition, if you see me running try to keep up.

- Dont argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

- Some peeps are only alive because its illegal to kill them.

Not to sound pessimistic but I'm an L3-L5 injury and had no motor skills n I got a little back but that was back within the 1st year...and at this point (and its only been a little over 2yrs my neurologist is telling me I'm not gettin anything else back...I'm sorry

My son is an L1 burst fracture injured in 2007. He got sparse movement in one quad muscle at about the 5 week mark. Both quads came back, limited hamstrings, nothing below the knees. All actual movement came back in the first year. He gained fuctional skills for another year, but that was because he was getting stronger and better at moving what he could.

Good luck.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt