Thread: SCI rehab near Biloxi Mississippi?

SCI rehab near Biloxi Mississippi?

Does anyone have a recommendation for an SCI rehab facility near Biloxi Mississippi. I know of someone that was shipped off to a VA rehab near Houston and they really need to be closer to home and their family. I don't think it needs to be a VA facility.

Thanks, Ronnie

The VA SCI Center in Houston is an excellent center, and the regional center for that area. They are CARF accredited for SCI rehab. He will get tons of equipment, a longer more comprehensive rehab, better home care supplies, and better resource information at a VA SCI Center than at most private sector Model System Centers.

I know it is good to be near family, but would you really want him to get a poor quality rehab program at much greater cost to him, with less options for wheelchairs and other equipment just to be closer to his family?

He needs to get a good start with a knowledgeable team, and he can get this in Houston (or Memphis if he prefers, but Houston is probably better). There is no VA SCI Center in Mississippi, and limited SCI competent rehab programs. There are no CARF accredited SCI rehab programs in the state, private sector or VA.

(KLD)

Thanks,

I passed this information on to the friends and family that were interested.

Ronnie

I am from Columbus, MS. My son (C7 injury 8/02)went to Shepherd Center in Atlanta, GA. They are great. He initially went to Methodist Rehab in Jackson, MS, but came home basically the same as he went. After 4 weeks at Shepherd, he came home with all the skills needed to be completely independent. Currently he lives in an apartment in Starkville, MS and going to MSU. Give them a call. Look up Shepherd.org on internet.