Thread: not sure if my son's toe movemnet was real Dr. Wise please comment.

not sure if my son's toe movemnet was real Dr. Wise please comment.

i am wondering if a voluntary movement can produce a spasm or vise=versa. his toe moved when he tried to move it almost each time. But I am afraid the movement was a spasm.

If he can repeat it upon command, without moving other muscles, then it would be unlikely it was a spasm. It is common to have sparing or early return in the sacral segments due to the location of sacral tracts in the spinal cord. Has he also gotten back some sensation around his anus or in his genitals?

(KLD)

he has anal sensation ie; when you put a pinprick near his anus he can feel pressure... when he is being cathed he can feel it at times... is that what you mean by genital feelings?

Originally posted by okwjoe:

i am wondering if a voluntary movement can produce a spasm or vise=versa. his toe moved when he tried to move it almost each time. But I am afraid the movement was a spasm.
    I am not a doctor or an expert but I can tell you that I was completely paralysed for two months and then I got the movement in my big right toe. I had numb sensation from the first day though. After 6 month in rehab, working all day, I was walking out.

TH 12 incomplete 12-12-69.

Genital sensation = Any feeling at all in his penis or scrotum, even if not "normal" feeling. Sometimes it will just be the ability to feel pressure.

Has he has his ASIA score re-assessed lately? From what you describe he should now be classified as an ASIA B (incomplete), and we can hope that as he gets more return he may be considered an ASIA C.

(KLD)

bump