Thread: Anothe rnew member here.

Anothe rnew member here.

Hi all,
    My name is Carlos and i found this community about four weeks ago and think
    that its full of great people with incredible
    faith and hope and right now thats the kind of site i am looking for.
    This is difficult, expressing myself, especially in a community website cause i never done this befor but, I feel the need to do so for the sake of my nephew and his family.

I'll try my best.

A little about myself. I am 38 and married with no children. I live in Folsom Ca and Attended Sacramento State University.

About what happened.
    My wife and I were involved in a multiple auto accident where my car was rear ended. I came out with a few injuries and my wife was lucky to receive bumps and bruses only but my nephew who is 15 years old was sitting in the rear seat took the majority of the impact. He suffered two broken shoulder blades along with a spinal cord injury to his c4/c5 region of his spine and left him paralize so far with little movement to his armes and we are hoping for more positive signs of improvements. I understand that its still very early on what he will get back but, with much faith in God and this community my nephew can get the help he needs for a fast recovery, so any info will be appreciated.

My Brother and I are very much interested in the procedure done by Dr. Huang in China but as I said earlier its still very soon in the recovery stage. We are in the process of possibly sending his CT scan over to Dr. Huang for reveiw and I know that he asks for MRI's but because of the type of surgery that was performed on him to correct the damaged spine area, the doctors say the it would provide the best view of the injury.

Would anyone know if Dr.Huang would accept a CT scan??

Thanks
    LOS

I am so sorry your family is having to go through this. I hope your nephew is getting good rehabilitation care. Since he is only 15, have you looked into the Shriner's Hospital SCI Center in Sacramento? I would recommend it highly.

I don't believe Dr. Huang will consider the surgery in China sooner than 12 months post injury. I believe he does require an MRI, even if it is just the original one done at the trauma center. I would recommend you post this question on the Cure forum where you will get more info from those who have been in contact with Dr. Huang.

(KLD)

Carlos-

Everybody should read this article when they find CareCure.

http://carecure.rutgers.edu/spinewir...I/AcuteSCI.htm

I suggest you read it, print it and share it with your family. I wish your nephew the best, anything we can do to help, let us know.

And I second SCI Nurse in saying, the best rehab possible for as long as possible. All rehab's are not created equal.

Can't stop the spirits when they need you/This life is more than just a read thru.-
    red Hot Chili Peppers

Thank you Bethany.

Originally posted by Betheny:

Carlos-

Everybody should read this article when they find CareCure.

http://carecure.rutgers.edu/spinewir...I/AcuteSCI.htm

I suggest you read it, print it and share it with your family. I wish your nephew the best, anything we can do to help, let us know.

And I second SCI Nurse in saying, the best rehab possible for as long as possible. All rehab's are not created equal.

Can't stop the spirits when they need you/This life is more than just a read thru.-
    red Hot Chili Peppers

Thank You

Actually he is going to be transfered to Shriners very soon. I have heard and read of its reputation of providing good care for SCI patients.

Now it has been 31 days since the accident and he is off the resporator and in fairly good spirits. He is a strong boy and even though he does not fully understand the full extent of his injury he has an attitude of regaining all of his mobility and we feel that is very important in his recovery.

I will speak to my brother if the trauma center at Davis has the original MRI's and try to have them ready to send.

Thanks again for your kind words and taking your time to reply.

Carlos

Hi Los,
    Sorry to hear about your nephew.There is so much to learn about SCI, I'm just under 2 years post and I'm still amazed at the bits of info I pick up on a daily basis. Learn as much as you can and you will find that you can really help your nephew out. In my opinon this site is the best resource for SCI there is. Good luck and I hope to see you posting positive news soon!!

JimmyMack

PS- I noticed that you did something that I also did for a while....Spelled Betheny's name wrong..LOL....Betheny is good people and gives good advice...