Thread: My son was born with spina bifida-question for dr Wise Young

My son was born with spina bifida-question for dr Wise Young

At first,I would like to say hello to everybody,and wish you all the best.My name is Malgosia and I come from Poland.I have a little boy,1.5 year old.He was born with spina bifida and hydrocephalus.His bladder is not working properly and also lower part of his legs,He cannot feel his feet,and he has difficulties with walking.I would like to ask dr Wise Young if olfactory tissue transplantation(dr Lima in Portugal) would be possible in case of spina bifida.

I am going to copy this message over to the Cure forum. You can find it here.

Is he getting treatment for his hydrocephalus (shunting)? Is he on intermittent catheterization? Are there organizations for parents of children with SB in Poland such as we have in the USA? Does he get therapy from a rehabilitation clinic or center that knows a lot about SB?

(KLD)

He had four operations on his head-to put kind of device regulating pressure of liquid in his head(it is difficult for me to explain in proper words )The first one when he was 12 days old,the last one when four months old.In between he had infection(meningitis)and the doctors prognosis were not optimistic,but his psychological developement is excellent.J have to catheterize three times a day to avoid urine infection-he can partly empty his bladder.In Poland there is kind of organiztion and forum for parent of children with SB. We usually go to rehabilitation center four or five days a week,we use NDT (Bobath) and Vojta methods.I also give a massage (especially legs and feet)and exercise with my son at home.

Sorry, I forgot to lock this post. Please see the message moved to the Cure forum and linked from my original post below.

(KLD)