Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 yo 3 weeks post c5-6

14 yo 3 weeks post c5-6

My son sustained a c 5-6 subluxation after a diving accident. they rehab doctor says he is a compltete c4. I am very confused. He has sensation to his wrist bilaterallly touch not pinprick. but knows which finger we are pulling at times. The other day he he felt his fingers were "like stuck in a car door and it was slammmed on it" He has sensation to the xiphoid process. and at upper back. The other day I found a sheath off the therometer in his anus and he told me about the later in the day that he felt all morning. He said right after the accident he felt thr grass under his shoulder and the board in the same place when he was transported. He also can flex and extend his elbows while in therapy. the doc said it was a c-7 movement Is he a incomplete?

okwjoe,

What you describe is not uncommon. The presence of even brief periods of voluntary movement and sensation below the injury site during the first days or weeks after injury is a positive hopeful sign. I have known several people who have recovered substantially after episodes. He may be "complete" right now but he is still very early after injury (3 weeks) and may have a lot of recovery in front of him. Did your son receive methylprednisolone?

Wise.

DR young he did!! he recieved 2 grams of solumedrol boluses within 2 hours and recieved 354 mg / hour x 24 hours and was in cervical traction within 5 hours and was surgery was in two days.

HE did he recieved total of 2 grams of solumedrol and 354mg/hr over the next 24 hours .. he was flown to Weschester Medical Center placed in cervical traction and he spine was fused within 48 hours.

hi I dont know if I can answer your questions but I can at least give you hope and support. My son's best friend had a 4 wheeler accident Aug. 3, 2004. When he came into the emergency room and after the neurosurgens had looked him over and mris and all the works they proceeded to tell us that he would never walk again and would have minimal recovery. He was operated on the following day and the day after that he was sent straight to rehab. He is a c5 incomplete. Now he are all the accomplishments that have happened since then: he can move both sides of his body hands, legs, arms, feet, toes, fingers, left just a little stronger than right, he can now move his butt muscles his sensory is better on his left side he can adjust himself on the bed a little. All of this was not expected according to the doctors. His doctor at the rehab is shocked everyday with his progress. I dont know what your religous preferances are but all I know is God was all over Brock and his recovery and still is. I will pray for your son if you like. I think also giving him all the support and love he can handle can go a long way. Brock has had so many people telling him he can that he doesnt believe there is anything he cant do. He went through depression and still does at times and thats ok. Just dont let him stay there. There is another lady on here who son was injured c2-3 he is now walking and going to college. Where there is hope there is accomplishment. I would say dont let him give up. Another thing is dont be afraid to be his parent. what i am saying is dont be afraid to treat him like you would before the accident. The last thing they want is to be treated different or like a baby. They have so much dignty taken from them with this that the last thing they need is to have you treat them like they were 3 again. I have learned so much about sci from here and from Brock that I have a great respect for anyone who has to deal with the everyday activities when they have a sci. It is really hard to see a teenager wearing ted hose to keep from getting bloodclots. This is something you see old people wearing. Not to mention the bowel and bladder problems. Please keep coming here and keep us posted and anytime you want to talk you can im me on yahoo messenger at mstc33. Hope everything goes well for you and for him. I know sometimes it is harder on the parent than the child. Sometimes Brock surprises me at how much stronger he is than his mom. Be strong and Be blessed. Teresa

thank you for the support brock's mom. This is way i am anxious about this complete vs. incomplete.. according to Dr. young inomplete's have better prognosis than complete. He had sensory down to his wrists on the 3rd day post injury.

i dont know much about complete and incomplete but I have heard of someone being complete and becoming incomplete. At least I think I am right about that. I will tell you something else that will help you understand all this you can go to where it says "hi i am new here" on the topics list and then go down to where betheny post. She post a link on there for me that has explained a whole lot for me. I would put the link on here for ya but I am not that computer literate. hehehe. Teresa

OKWJOE, my son suffered a C 2/3 SCI last year. I remember all too well how torturous those first days and weeks were. My son was on a ventilator for two months and it was a very scary time. But, fortunately, things started to "wake up" ever so gradually. Every few days something very little happened - a tingling feeling or a slight movement. The days that he tried to move something with success I was elated. The days that nothing new happened, I was so sad. It has been a long road, but my son I think surprised many of his doctors and therapists, and last month walked back into his first college class post SCI. (I think I am the mother that Brocks2ndmom was referring to.) As so many have said, it is a marathon, not a sprint. Prepare yourself. A nurse told me that early on and was she ever right. The best advice I can give is to learn all you can about SCI. Use the resources and people's experiences here on this site to help you. You will find them invaluable. Also, check out "Caregiving" on this site. Everyone is so supportive and sometimes you just need to vent or a shoulder to cry on in order to face the next day. Good luck to you, your son, and your family. I will keep you all in my prayers.

My son sustained a C-2/3 injury 2 years ago. He was also on a vent for 3 months until the halo was removed. He is incomplete meaning he is moving below his level of injury. I was told they only use the word "complete" for my son because of the kidney and bowel function, but not because of his injury. He is moving his toes on left foot voluntarily. His thumb and index finger on his right arm. Due to extensive therapy he can sit up for a total of 5 minutes alone. He has developed an 18 degree of scoleosis (curvature of the spine), but not enough to do any surgery at this time. He is your typical 12 year old who likes his hair just right and clothes perfect. Just learning about girls. He is wheelchair bound. Drives a candy apply red wheelchair. Is totally dependant, even though he has movement. I am a mother who strongly believes in miracles as I look at one everyday. Our faith is tested as parents with children with sci everyday. I am researching and praying about Dr. Huang's procedure. My son has been paralysed for 2 years. This is the peek time of his life when things start to change. He says that God has a plan for him and he doesn't think it is to be wheelchair bound the rest of his life, not being able to do anything for yourself. He doesn't dwell on being paralysed, but he wants to do all those things he used to do and he will. That's where your faith comes in. I will never give up on my son as I know God is working with this Dr. in China to help people with sci for some reason and I think I know what that reason is.

Okwjoe - How old is your son?
    LFC - How ols is your son?

It is nice to be able to share your story with other mothers out there going through this awful tragedy.

I will pray for you all everyday.

God Bless,
    Mom#1

It is not uncommon for someone to appear complete the first day/week/month post injury, but then start to get return and ultimately end up incomplete. It is foolish for physicians to tell patients and family members that someone is definitely complete so early. I always recommend saying "it appears complete now, but only time will tell", which is the truth. It is common that the longer the person goes with NO return, the less likely they will get return, but this takes weeks and months (perhaps years) to know for sure.

People with both complete and incomplete injuries often have bowel and bladder involvement. It is inaccurate to say someone is complete simply because they have impairments in this area. This is inconsistent with the ASIA standards, which are used internationally.

(KLD)