Thread: Question...

Question...

Hi - I'm new here and maybe this is the wrong place to post this but I just saw a book on ebay about SCI and this paragraph really disturbed me and I wanted to see what everyone knew about it:

From Library Journal
    Before the middle of the 20th century, most people with a spinal cord injury (SCI) died within a few years of the injury. Today, with advances in emergency medicine, the initial survival rate is much higher. About 220,000 people in the United States live with SCI, and about 10,000 new injuries occur each year.

Ok I'm really freaked out now, a dear friend of mine just had a sci this year. Does this mean life expectancy goes down????? I'm so confused, I know absolutely nothing about this!

Link to sci stats

If you will click on the link above, it has SCI stats and life expectancies. I'm sure you will have other questions, feel free to ask. I believe the fatality rate of SCI's prior to WWII was due to inadequate technology for bladder management; i.e. no plastic or rubber catheters. People died within a year of renal failure. That is no longer the case, thankfully.

[This message was edited by Betheny on 09-10-04 at 07:58 PM.]

Thank you! That's a really great site

Overall, the average decrease in life expectance with SCI is about 15% less than without the injury. Remember, these numbers are just averages, which means that about an equal number of people exceeded these life-spans as did not reach them.

Taking good care of yourself, getting regular check-ups from a knowledgeable SCI physician, not smoking, keeping lipids and glucose levels under control, performing reasonable exercise on a regular basis, and taking care of your skin can go a long way toward maintaining health and achieving or exceeding the top end of listed life-expectancies.

Also remember that there is a very important
    "era of injury" effect on these numbers. I have clients injured in WWII when they were expected to die within 1-2 years. This number remained low for well into the 1970s when care significantly improved. This impacted life expectancy much more for those injured in the 1970s than for those injured in the 1950s. Improvement in care over the years means that for the listed life-spans, those injuried today would be expected to have much better longevity.

(KLD)