Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: **Questions**

  1. #1
    Junior Member kristiberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    RM, Nevada


    I am not really new to SCI, I have been in this chair for about 15 I guess I am not an old timer either

    It's funny because I read about people being in ICU for weeks and going through so much...I was only in the hospital for 10 days and then off to rehab...I really wish I could have been to a better rehab, but too late now. I really am going to try and get to Susan's rehab when it opens. Ihope to be living in Austin by next spring...I have my fingers crossed...
    Anyway on to the point...

    *What is the difference between acute and chronic SCI???

    *I have a physiatrist but what is a physiotherapist?? Should I have one of those rather than the one I have or both??

    *I have an appointment with my physiatrist next month and am hoping to get some braces to try walking...I am a T7 with almost total recovery of sensation and some muscle control in the stomach seems to really be coming back a little at a you think I will be able to use them with some success??

    Thanks for the help

  2. #2

    The definition of chronic spinal cord injury is variable. Some doctors consider one year to be the limit of recovery while others think that it should be 1.5 years. I believe that chronic onset occurs when has been no recovery for 6 months.

    Physiotherapist is a therapist (usually not an MD). Physiatrists are doctors who specialize in physical medicine whereas physiotherapists are not doctors.


  3. #3
    Physiotherapist (UK, Canada, Austrailia, New Zealand) = Physical Therapist (in the USA).


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts