Thread: Help!!

Help!!

My niece's daughter was shot in Raleigh NC July 29, 2004. She is still there with little improvement. She is a C2 and can only move her head and is on a respirator. She is a beautiful 16 year old who is mentally fine but cannot move. She is in pain most of the time and can mouth her words quite effectively. The hospital says that her spinal cord is crushed. Why does she hurt? Where can a 16 year old go for rehab? The family will be on medicaid. Please someone help. The Shepard Center already refused her. What can we do?

Aunt Donna

You came to the right place. Why did Shepard refuse her? There is a Shriner's hospital in Philadelphia for kids under 18.
    Link to Shriner's

From their website:
    "The Shrine's official philanthropy is Shriners Hospitals for Children, a network of 22 hospitals that provide expert, no-cost orthopaedic and burn care to children under 18 years of age."
    "There are 18 orthopaedic Shriners Hospitals, three Shriners Hospitals dedicated to treating children with severe burns, and one Shriners Hospital that provides orthopaedic, burn and spinal cord injury care.
    If you know a child Shriners Hospitals might be able to help, call us toll-free at 1-800-237-5055 (in the U.S.) or 1-800-361-7256 (in Canada)."

Here is info on some of your questions:
    Dr. Young article, includes Why does it hurt so much?

This next article by Dr. Young should be in every sci unit in the world, in my opinion. PLEASE read and print it for the family. Many many answers, all vital stuff. Click on the 1st link you see to reach the article.

SCI-What questions to ask, Answers explained

I'm going to take the liberty of quoting our SCI Nurse KLD in an earlier similar thread:
    "It is critical that your friend get moved to a major SCI center ASAP. This should be Model SCI Center that has extensive experience with high injuries including ventilator care. You did not say what part of the country your friend is in, but centers that would immediately come to mind on the East Coast include Shepherd Center in Atlanta, Kessler Rehabilitation Hospital in New Jersey, and Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami. In the MidWest, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago/Northwestern Hospital. In the Rocky Mountain area, Craig Hospital in Denver. In the South, TIRR in Houston. On the West Coast, Rancho Los Amigos in Downey, Santa Clara County Medical Center in San Jose, and Harborview/University of Washington in Seattle...You can also get help from the Christopher Reeve Foundation or the National Spinal Cord Injury Association in finding the appropriate resourses."

Link to SCI Nurse text above

You're going to have more questions. Please feel free to come here and ask them. I'm so sorry that you need us, but glad you found us. Once again, PLEASE read and print Dr. Young's article, 3rd link above, and give to the family. There is so much valuable information there. Good luck.

[This message was edited by Betheny on 08-20-04 at 02:09 AM.]

[This message was edited by Betheny on 08-20-04 at 02:11 AM.]

donnalee- I agree with Bethany/ links she gave you. A major SCI center is the way to go. Shepard is the closest, but if they are unable to take her, any of the other Model systems that accept ventilator dependent persons would be fine.
    As Bethany said, come back when you have questions, we are here to help in any way we can, to give you support.

JM

Shepherd's maybe overbooked! Go to the Shriners. Everything is free!

JJG

Originally posted by Dr. J. J.:

Shepherd's maybe overbooked! Go to the Shriners. Everything is free!

JJG
    I am not sure how to reply but thank you for your answer. She needs an aftercare plan set up and she and her mother are homeless. We would like to get them back to NY so that she can put medicaid etc in place but there seems to be no help in doing so.

I know of no organizations or state funding for transporting someone in such a situation back to their home state, esp. if they are uninsured and homeless. You could try a military base to see if she would qualify for military humanitarian Med-Evac, but this is doubtful.

I believe that Shriner's will also pay for the transportation in select cases. The closest Shriner's SCI unit to them would be Philadelphia. I would strongly recommend contacting them directly:

http://www.shrinershq.org/hospitals/sci.html

(KLD)

Shriner's will not take a ventilator patient.Hospiatls in NY that are near us Buffalo or Rochester won't accept until payment is approved by medicaid of ny and ny medicaid won't approve her until she is moved here.???

Is she eligible for any Crime Victims Assistance funds in NC? This might be used to pay for air ambulance to get her back to NY. She would then need to be admitted to a public hospital until she is eligible for Medicaid and then for rehab.

Also try local military to see if the humanitarian Med-Evac might be an option.

(KLD)

How about a call to a legislator? They might be able to pull strings for the Med-Evac, or find a charity group in NY that would help.

AB wife of T8 complete para