Thread: When Reality Sets In...

When Reality Sets In...

What do you do when the reality of a SCI finally sets in? I'm 10 months post now and that one year mark is coming up fast. When I was in rehab my physiatrist told me I would be walking in less than a year and when asked about a service dog, he told me I would not need one. I think I took those things the wrong way. I am walking with loft strands, which is great, but I'm finally realizing that I will never be "normal" again. Urologist doesn't know if my bladder will come back. My bowels aren't getting any better. It seems like I'm constantly sick. I have worked my butt off these past 10 months doing everything I can to get as much as possible back and I know I am lucky to have gotten back what I have, but it's not enough! I want my LIFE back!! How do you deal with it? I mean, I'm already on antidepressants, seeing a counselor and a psychiatrist. I've put on a good act so far, acting like life is just grand, but I can't do it anymore. I have to face the reality of my new life and new body and honestly, I don't know how to handle it. I don't know that I want to.

C5-C7 Walking Quad

Tinamarie-

I'm sorry, babe. Welcome to The Wall. 4 yrs. as a walking quad, and I'm still bumping up against it. What I've learned, for what it's worth...
    1. You won't continue to be sick all the time. I leveled out in my 3rd year.
    2. You have to grieve. You lost more than the world can understand.
    3. Even though you grieve, count your blessings. There are no lucky sci's, but in the big picture, you and I got off easy.
    4. You'll have to continue the physical battle. Slacking off like you did sometimes as an ab won't just make you flabby anymore, it will make you weak. It's a lot tougher fight now, and the rewards seem smaller, but they aren't. They are your very independence and freedom-vital stuff.
    5. Conserve your energy. I used to think I had to walk everywhere. It finally dawned that I wasn't making myself stronger that way, I was just going less places. I know, duhh, slow learner.

Good luck, if I think of more I'll post. Beth

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

Tinamarie
    I really don't think it ever sit's in! least it has not really for me and this Oct it will be 2 yr's. Take it from most of us, we still have to do thing's to get the bowels to work. Keep up the hard work because that is what will get you to the farthest point!

Beth I agree about the walking it hurt's so bad that I have gotten a scooter to help with it! My Dr. kept telling me I was tearing up what I had left, and I finally got it through my thick head and listened to her

Duge

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

Your sisters and brother on the forum have been giving you the truth. BUT...

You need to be seeing a physiatrist or urologist who understands SCI because if your bladder is not coming back you need to adjust (not your mind but your actions) the way you take care of yourself. To preserve your health.

Sometimes people need to take a look at what they want to do with their time and their lives and make adjustments to allow that (as much as is possible). With adaptations you can do pretty much whatever you want. Use the adaptations and devices you need to get what you want. If it takes too much energy to walk somewhere, use a chair. Do whatever it takes to get where and what you want.

It's hard, we all agree on that, but it's still possible.

RAB