Thread: Fluid at injury site

Fluid at injury site

Just had an MRI done, and the results show that there is fluid in the injury site.

Can anyone tell me what this condition is called, i forgot what they told me, and what i should be aware of as to keep track for deteriation, as i am a c5-6 and can't afford to loss anything i've gained.

thanks

The cyst at your injury site (syrinx) is probably normal. Most people at a year will have a small cyst there. It will be important to continue to monitor is, as it is a concern if is should continue to enlarge. Any change in sensation or movement above your level of injury should be immediately reported, and the MRI repeated in 6-12 months otherwise. Be sure the MRI is reviewed by a neurosurgeon who knows a lot about SCI and syrinx development.

(KLD)

Originally posted by Patonb:

Just had an MRI done, and the results show that there is fluid in the injury site.

Can anyone tell me what this condition is called, i forgot what they told me, and what i should be aware of as to keep track for deteriation, as i am a c5-6 and can't afford to loss anything i've gained.

thanks
    This fluid pocket is called a syrnix and as KLD stated you must monitor it because it can cause loss of sensation or mobility. I noticed I had one after I had my plate in my neck removed. We had to go in and have a k-shunt to relieve the fluid pressure. I received more sensation after that. Just keep a check on it because they have been known to rise.

D

Patonb, can you recall whether anybody said to you whether you have a syringomyelic cyst or syrinx in your spinal cord? There are two kinds of "fluid at injury site". One is increased water content in the spinal cord, resulting in increased MRI signal. This is very common and should subside with time. I see from your profile that you were injured about a year ago. The other is what lu2b and KLD are referring to, i.e. a cyst in the spinal cord. Thanks. Wise.

Originally posted by Wise Young:

Patonb, can you recall whether anybody said to you whether you have a syringomyelic cyst or syrinx in your spinal cord? There are two kinds of "fluid at injury site". One is increased water content in the spinal cord, resulting in increased MRI signal. This is very common and should subside with time. I see from your profile that you were injured about a year ago. The other is what lu2b and KLD are referring to, i.e. a cyst in the spinal cord. Thanks. Wise.
    Thanks for the replys, I beleive that they said it was a syringomyelic. Could you please give me more info on this.And yes my injurey was just over a year ago, ansd how does this effect it.

Thank you

It could also be the area of damaged spinal cord that "disintegrated."

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

lu2b,
    I am wondering if it was necessary, medically, to have your plates removed. Or, was this something you opted for? I too have a plate and a syrinx. How did you go about finding a surgeon? And, is an increase in neuropathic pain something to look for when evaluating this syrinx?

Thanks for your help.

fillmore, it might be a good idea to start a new thread in the Care forum to get your questions answered.

RAB

So back to my problem,..

I beleive that they said it was a syringomyelic. Could you please give me more info on this.And yes my injurey was just over a year ago, ansd how does this effect it.