Thread: Question for Dr. Young concerning rods being used to stabilize spinal column at C4-C6 levels.

Question for Dr. Young concerning rods being used to stabilize spinal column at C4-C6 levels.

I have moderate Cerebral Palsy, am 47 years old, female. I have degenerated cervical vertebrae at the C4-C6 levels, with the spinal cord being compressed. EMG, Myelogram, CT Scan and MRIs are all conclusive. My orthopedic surgeon, along with neurologist, recommends removing degenerated vertebrae and stabilizing area with rods. I am comfortable with my doctors and feel this is my best option. However, I would like to know if there are any long term risks/complications. I have been told that I will lose up to 50 per cent of the mobility of my neck. Are there any other concerns I should be aware of? Thank you.

Janet

janet,

The long term risks and complications are all related to immobility of the neck and the tendency of the remaining mobile portion of your neck getting more stress. Other than that, I think that your doctors have given you the whole story. It is important for you to decompress the spinal cord if it is compressed and there is relatively little choice. Please let us know what happens.

Wise.

Dr Young,

Thank you for responding. I had the surgery July 21st. It went very well. I was very fortunate. Recovery is going well.

Janet, I am so glad that your surgery went well. Wise.