Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Injured friend

Jason, don't assume that she cannot get into Shephard Center. The sooner they get her on their list (like tomorrow) the better. They will be straight with her family about the waiting time, and will take care of getting insurance authorization. I think that is the best option given that you are in No. Carolina. Her mother may not do well with this discussion right now...talk to her dad and tell him that going to rehab is not giving up, but it is critical that there be as little delay as possible. There should be a social worker or discharge planner at the hospital where she is. This person is someone you can talk to and she can talk to Caitlin's parents about options. As I said, it is important that there be no delay.

I am sorry the physician was so brutal. He probably just thought he was being honest, but he was being cruel. No one (NO ONE) can say this early in the injury what the ultimate outcome will be. It is too early to tell if her injury is complete, and no test can tell this either at this time. Only time will tell. I would never say this to a family (or a patient). I always say that the news does not look good, but only time and excellent care will tell....many people get return for years after their injury. Christopher Reeve has been injured for 10 years and is still getting return (and was told he was complete as well).

(KLD)

Jason-

***I've written this, as I did the last one, with you as being her strongest advocate. Right now it seems to be that is the case. Keep strong & help her parents deal with this.****

wow, you're going through a lot with this on all fronts. I don't remember much until a couple weeks after my accident, but I can only imagine how hard it is for you. It sounds like you have one tough friend. It's already been said before, but let me re-iterate. DON'T let what the Dr. has said be the be all & end all. Yes, I have a lower level of injury, but I'm just over six months post and I've started using a walker to make my way around the house. This after the Dr's told my parents & friends that I would never be able to move my legs again. The reaction to that news for my friends & family was very similar to how you explain how Caitlin is. The exact quote from one of my best friends is "BULL SHIT, You don't know Michelle!!!). Rob(my friend) as absolutley right. THe dr's didn't know me, same as the Dr's don't know Caitlin. A strong will is a big part of her Rehab. Don't get me wrong, Rehab is not easy, not only physically(as a matter of fact, the physical sometimes can be the best/easiest part of it) but emotionally, psychologically, relationally & as strange as it may sound nutritionally. It's not all bad, but it's tough & she will need help & encouragement. Remind her how tough she is. Yes, Shepherd Center is the closest to you & probably the absolute best to go to. There is also the Miami Project, at Jackson Hospital in Miami. I know it is so much farther away from home & therefore more difficult on everyone, but if Shepherd becomes a non-option, look into Miami. I've heard both good & bad about it, I don't know anything first hand though. Another place you can look for more information is the CARF accreditation website. If you can't get into a Model center, make sure wherever she goes is CARF accredited. Their website is www.carf.org . Where in NC are you at? Believe it or not, depending on her progress, she still can drive, it would most likely have to be with adaptation, but it is possible. Maybe even by the end of summer if things go extremely well. Push for the best care. Once you get to the point with her rehab center & insurance push to get her what she needs, not what they think she needs or want to give her because it's less expensive. I've had an awful rental chair since I got out of rehab because they expect me to walk & therefore they would rather spend $200/month on a rental than $2,000 on a purchase. Don't let stupid stuff like that happen to Caitlin.

Does she have any siblings? If so, how are they dealing with all of this? They may also need some counseling as it is tough on the entire family.

There are so many resources available on the internet, keep searching for more info. Also, Yahoo Groups have a number of different groups for people with sci & their friends/families/caregivers. Check them out, there's a lot of people that can help you deal with everything.

Feel free to e-mail or instant message me anytime with any more questions. I'll try to help as best I can. All my contact info is in my profile.

Once again, I hope I've been of some help for you. Feel free to contact any time.

'Chelle

Jason-

I did a quick search on the CARF site & found that these are the rehab centers in NC that are CARF accredited for Spinal Rehab.

Charlotte Institute of Rehabilitation
    Charlotte NC
    Day Rehabilitation Center
    Greenville NC
    Outpatient Rehabilitation Center
    Greenville NC
    Regional Rehabilitation Center of Pitt County

Memorial Hospital, University Health Systems of Greenville NC

Southeastern Regional Rehabilitation Center
    Fayetteville NC
    WakeMed OP Rehab
    Cary Cary NC
    WakeMed OP Rehab Clayton
    Clayton NC
    WakeMed Outpatient Rehab - Wake Forest Road
    Raleigh NC
    WakeMed Rehab
    Raleigh NC

Here's a link to the page on the site that I used to get this info.

http://www.carf.org/consumer.aspx?co...merSearch&id=7

I hope that this gives you more information

'Chelle

Hi Jason. Thinking back, I reacted in a similar way, going into hyper-responsible mode. In this, there was no way I would leave, it is a good thing the NCIU and Rehab. were accomodating, for I would have been on another floor within the hospital!!!
    If I were you kiddo, I would get a binder folder and copy the facts you are getting here and elsewhere and just leave them for the family to read. Highlight the things that pertain to her needs at this time.
    How old are you again? Wow. You are way cool!
    Yeah, it isn't fair these things that happen, it is something one will never understand~ why...
    The thing you all have to do for is to help her heal, and work towards any return while trying to guide her into living as much of the life she had prior the accident, just in different ways, as time will tell what may be~ the nurse is right~ it is too early to know what will be.
    Oh, and don't forget to take care of you too! K?

Jason, I CAN HELP YOU. I am in North Carolina, my significant other broke his neck in North Carolina and did all his rehab in NC. Send me a private topic and I'll send you my phone number right away. I'm also medically trained / connected if you get my drift ....

Zillazangel

Jason,

I am so sorry to hear what has happened. My husband did the very same thing August 2002. There is hope and don't ever let her forget that, even when people fight you on that one.

Get her to Shepherd - I am in Atlanta and do whatever I can to help. I will even speak to Alana Shepherd if you like.

Also - search on the Proneuron clinical trial on this website. Get the information to her parents - they will want to move heaven and earth to try to get her any kind of new treatment, I am sure!

Info on Proneuron trial: Proneuron trial

[This message was edited by Chim-Chim on 06-07-04 at 02:36 PM.]

[Edited to resize link.]

[This message was edited by Jeff Weeks on 06-08-04 at 11:14 AM.]