Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for some help T12/L1

Unfortunately we do not presently have a way to make your bowel and bladder come back. Only time will tell if it comes back at all on its own.

Matt, I am assuming you have a flaccid anal sphincter (no muscle tone) in addition to your loss of sensation. Can you do your own manual removal (NOT disimpaction...this is an incorrect term) of stool? Most of my clients at your level do their own. Were you not taught this in rehab?

Avoid the use of softeners, stimulants or laxatives. You need to keep your stool very firm, as with no anal sphincter tone any valsalva (straining) such as during transfers or ambulation an incontinent stool can occur if there is anything in the rectum. You may find a mini-enema of bisacodyl or an Enemeez more helpful than a suppository, as they provide both stimulation and lubrication to make manual removal easier.

I would also recommend that you purchase and download the booklet "Neurogenic Bowel: What you need to know" from the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine. You can purchase it from the PVA website at this URL:
    PVA on-line store

Some people with a lower motor neuron bowel like this do bowel care 2-3X daily to manage this, while others can do every day just fine.

(KLD)

MattS, you are still relatively early after injury. You may still have some changes ahead of you. For example, I have known some people who get more sensation of their bowel and bladder a year or more after injury. I know one person who got back bladder function more than a decade after injury.

One very interesting patient that Dr. Huang transplanted olfactory ensheathing glial cells to recovered voluntary sphincter contraction. I expect that the therapies that are being tested in clinical trial will result in improvements of bowel and bladder function.

Wise.

Originally posted by MattS:

I am 24 years old and was injured in a snowmobile accident on Jan 11, 2004. I have been doing some reading now and like everybody else hoping someone has some answers.

I was told that I had a compression fracture and dislocation of T12/L1. The doc also said I never injured the cord, but the nerves around it (cauda equina). I have pretty good movement and sensation in my left leg but not much in my right. I don't have any feeling in my butt and no control with my bowel or bladder.

I was wonding if others have had a similar injury and regained their bowel and bladder, and of course, walked again.

Any help would be benefical.
    Thanks
    Matt

sawat T12-L1

were you trying to post a question? you only quoted matts original question?

[QUOTE=MattS;236195]I am 24 years old and was injured in a snowmobile accident on Jan 11, 2004. I have been doing some reading now and like everybody else hoping someone has some answers.

In 2005 I received a L1 burst fracture with 60% cord encroachment and I found out years later that I had crush injury to my sciatic nerves(butt was red from fall off cliff trying to rescue some E.R. Doctor) you think someone could have called that. Anyway after 5months of cathing myself (half cathing/ sometimes and trying to empty, somehow helped me get my bladder control back) It took 3 years for the tingling to leave my buttocks. No injuries are the same but my attitude and dedication as a athlete made me recover things that everyone said were gone. It took me 5months to walk and five years later my gait is off but since I am physically fit people ask "Did you hurt your ankle?" Of course working in a hospital I get pretty sick of the new nurses asking "What did you do to your foot?"My legs are two different sizes due to atrophy. Never stop trying to work your calves if possible. Speedy recovery

Hey Matt I was injured in December in a sledding accident as well! And I fracturedmy l1 and t12.. The doctors were shocked I'm still walking and not having problems. I'm in a back brace for up to 6 months. It sounds like you have some awesome doctors and keep your head up you will walk again!

Quote Originally Posted by Emudryk1 View Post
    Hey Matt I was injured in December in a sledding accident as well! And I fracturedmy l1 and t12.. The doctors were shocked I'm still walking and not having problems. I'm in a back brace for up to 6 months. It sounds like you have some awesome doctors and keep your head up you will walk again!
    So you do not have a spinal cord injury, just a fracture??? You do realize that this thread is 6 years old, right?

Your lack of a profile is frustrating as most people here check this out to determine if your experience is relevant to theirs.

(KLD)