Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Batten down hatches - May-June-July is SCI season

Batten down hatches - May-June-July is SCI season

I was just thinking that as we head into the beginning of summer, we will probably be inundated with posts from people and families with new spinal cord injury. It is always a sad time of the year for me. Although I am not sure, it seems that a large proportion of spinal cord injuries occur during these months in the United States.

Please do post your experiences and questions. There are plenty of people here who can help with advice concerning their experience, what works and what doesn't, and what to anticipate.

Wise.

Interesting...I've also met a lot of August injuries on here. I'd be curious on what statistics are among members here as to when we were injured. That would be an interesting survey.

I'm not deaf...I'm just ignoring you!

June 16 2001 10:43 am

"The Meaning of things lies not in things themselves,but in our attitude towards them"

11-26-02 @ 8:50 pm

Due to the good climate in my area (Southern California) we have little variability in incidence of SCI that is seasonal. We also do not have swimming in any of our local lakes (all drinking water reserviors), which decreases our summer time risks related to those I saw when working in the MidWest. The vast majority of our SCIs are motor vehicle (in younger people) and falls in the home in older people. We do see some increase of motor vehicle SCI around holidays such as Christmas, New Years, Independence Day, etc. when drinking is usually a factor.

Nationally, the most common time to get a SCI is a Saturday night in July.

(KLD)

SCI Nurse - Dennis is within the vast majority. Saturday July 19th, 2003 just about midnight....

in Australia , Christmas to Easter is our ''silly season '' for SCIs . our biggest cause of injuries is motor vehicle accidents followed by diving accidents . the majority of our public holidays fall between Christmas and Easter and our climate is suitable for watersports in this time , along with the travelling and partying associated with holidays and summer/early autumn.
    thank you ,
    dogger

P.S. my injury happened 31Mar91 [Easter Sunday]
    every day i wake up is a good one .

[This message was edited by dogger on 03-31-04 at 06:13 PM.]

12-25-02 1:00am

Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--unknown

8/21/97 around 2am...on a Wednesday night/Thursday morning in August.

I'm not deaf...I'm just ignoring you!

August 27 at about 2 a.m. First weekend of college.