Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My brother? and how to deal and handle all this

Little_One,

I know how you are feeling all too well. My youngest brother Dennis was injured July 19, 2003. He broke C4, C6 and shattered C5 - the biggest culprit of his injury.

The last 8+ months have been very overwhelming. We know more than we ever wanted to know about the spinal cord, paralysis, wheelchairs and how the human body works.

We have a very close family, my parents are together, I have an older brother and two younger brothers. Dennis is our 'baby', now at 33. His accident has affected us tremendously, we are closer than ever, help each other any way we can and do anything for Dennis and our parents.

Listen to your brother, his thoughts, his feelings, wants and needs. It will take a while for him to truly understand all of the changes he is going through. As it will take the rest of you a long time to grasp it all.

Listen to the doctors and nurses, the nurses helped us out sooo much while he was in the ICU and at Kessler rehab. Learn all you can about his injuries and rehab. Do as much of the stretching and excerising you can with him.

Is he still on a vent? If so, have they said when it will come out? Is he eating yet?

I am so tremendously thankful I found this site, I have gotten so much useful information from the people here, they are here to help in any way they can. And most importantly, they understand.

Ask as many questions as you can, of the doctors, nurses and the people here.

I am so happy to hear Loren has sensation coming back, Dennis has not been that lucky, but I will never lose faith for more to return or a miracle for him.

Please know I understand what it is like to be an older sister to a brother going through this and please ask me anything you might think of.

I am sure I am not expressing how much I understand your and his situation, but I feel like I do....

I wish you and your family all of the luck, happiness and peace....Meg

HI
    I wanted to write sooner but could not because my PC is not working very well, I truly hope your brother is doing better.
    The story of his accidnet made me remember all the things that happened in this time (9 months) post the accidento of my little brother, he did jump into a pool and broke his neck, also SCI C5. he is 17 actually his birhtday number 18 was on sunday.
    I just wanted to let you know that no matter what horrible you and your family feel right now there is hope and you must keep your faith, faith in cure, faith in your family faith in yourself and in the power of make things better, day by day.
    It is the only way tht you could carry what happen just one day at a time. MY brother was first DX as an ASIA A complete, now he is an ASIA C incomplete and he is still improving,things now a are not easy, but were worse and day by day are getting better.
    I used to cry a lot even now somedays I just cant help it, just looking at him struggling to do something that he would not have to do, the bowel program, the intermitent catheterization...He may do a lot of things, and I truly believe he will make it and his life somehow is going to be.... perhaps not what we and him thought but it will be allright, the thing is it is too painful to see someone you love in a situation like this is almost as if you could not breathe.
    Cure WILL be a reality, I only hope we can be a part of it soon, let s pray for it.
    I want t give you a big hug and please feel free to write to me anytime.
    Say hi to your brother for me, and always tell him he can make it better even in the worse moments and assure him that you and your family are there for him no matter what.
    Family is in my personal concept everything and the most important thing in life, so if you are together chances are better and he will be stronger day by day.
    Please forgive my english....

NANDA

Loren is doing good. He hasnt gained anymore sensations or if he has the nurses havent said anything, we have a lot of good nurses but one made my mom so upset that she almost fainted and they had to sit her down. I cant stand it when nurses are negative, they see miracles happen every day. Lorn is still on the vent but breathing on his own, they hook the vent up when he goes to bed, but they think he will be off of it by thursday or friday. They also think that he will be able to start rehab on Friday, he cant wait, everyday he tells us that he wants to start rehab and that he doesnt want to leave the hospital until he walks again. I think that thats a good sign cause it gives something to motivate him through rehab. I started crying yesterday caue he fed himself for the first time since the accident and was able to scratch his head all by himself. Its amazing that the little things that we take for granted is the same things that can bring tears to our eyes. So far Loren has only had one day where he broke down and said it was his fault, other then that he has been very positive and very upbeat. My dad is only working half days so he can go to the hospital and see Loren and to help him do his excercises. He has an awesome boss that bought him a lap top so he can work from home or from the hospital. His friends have been very helpful too. Just thought i would give everyone an update on how he is doing and thank you for all the wonderful advise from everyone. Ohh yeah what is the difference between a complete spinal cord injury and incomplete? The doctors never said what his is.
    Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Ohh yeah what is the difference between a complete spinal cord injury and incomplete? The doctors never said what his is.
    "
    Little_one
    Thank you for the update. It's wonderful to hear how your brother is doing. "Complete" and "incomplete" speaks to whether the Doctors think any nerve signals are getting past the level of spinal cord injury (C-5). The designation can change as time progresses and goes hand-in-hand with the ASIA Rating (A,B,C,D) which is a more objective designation (it can change too). As you have probably read, you brother can expect some increase in function over the first two years with more usually happening earlier. So much is being learned on a month-to-month basis that we have to have faith. Your brother and the whole family will do just fine and come out of this stronger. When you do start looking into rehabilitation please try to get to one of the model spinal cord rehabilitation hospitals like Craig is. http://www.spinalinjury.net/html/_model_centers.html
    They have much more experience with all levels and types of injuries.
    One question: You mentioned that your brother's vertebrae were 70% out-of-line. I am not a doctor, but if that is still the case, you might want to read Dr. Young's write-up on spinal cord decompression here at this site because you're going to have another decision to make.
    Good luck,
    Carl

[This message was edited by carl on 04-03-04 at 06:58 PM.]

You will probably find it helpful to read both of these articles posted on this site by Dr. Young:

http://carecure.rutgers.edu/spinewir...nalLevels.html

http://carecure.rutgers.edu/spinewir...I/AcuteSCI.htm

Share this one with all your other family members as well:

http://carecure.rutgers.edu/spinewir.../BirdeR01.html

Where is he going for rehab?

(KLD)

One question: You mentioned that your brother's vertebrae were 70% out-of-line. I am not a doctor, but if that is still the case, you might want to read Dr. Young's write-up on spinal cord decompression here at this site because you're going to have another decision to make.
    Good luck,
    Carl[/QUOTE]

Where can i find that article that Dr. Young wrote? He is also starting rehab on Friday, and he is at the Barrow Neurological Institute which is located at St. Joes Hospital in Phoenix. He is still continuing to get a tingling sensation in his legs and can now feel when you touch his toes, and what toe is being touched. He has been breathing on his own with out the ventilator for a couple of days. His accident happend in Mazatlan, Mexico and the doctor down there was wonderful, he did recieve that steroid that someone mentioned earlier. I guess the doctor that was in charge of his case was up to date on all that stuff and i think they gave him another dose of that steroid when he first arrived to St. Joe's. He is very motivated and everyday he works hard pon trying to move his legs, but atleast he can feel when you touch his toes and when you message his calf. His right side is stronger then his left, but the doctors said that the other side will be strong with rehab and lifting weights. As part of his rehab they take them out to lunch at a different resturant every Wednesday, and they have pet visitation and other things, and they do one on one counseling with a counselor that specializes in SCI so my family was happy about that. Well once again thank you to everyone and God bless.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
    Matthew 12:20 (i think)? With God all things are possible!!

Little_one,
    This is the article about decompression:
    http://carecure.rutgers.edu/spinewir...ompression.htm
    There is also a link to it from the main CareCure Community Page:
    http://carecure.rutgers.edu/spinewire/index.html
    Dr. Wise Young, who posted and recommended methylprednisolone actually discovered and originally researched its use at NYU and then founded and manages The Keck Center at Rutgers as well as this forum. I believe that he wrote the article that I referenced as well as many of the other articles. He IS a doctor and you can give credence to what he recommends.
    Sorry to repeat myself, but if your family can afford it (insurance?) and if your brother can take being further away from family, I would still recommend scheduling additional rehab at Craig (you don't need negative nurses) or one of the other model rehab institutes. Don't worry, there is life after a SCI - just check out the "Life" or "Sports & Travel" forums.
    Good Luck,
    Carl

You have to let him know that it is the toughest challange of his life and he will get better with time. Print research articles out from this site. Telling him he will get better will help but articles might further assure him. My sister did this in 2001 when I was injured and I still read articles for hope and assurrance. The toughest challange now will be his biggest reward of his life. He as we all will walk again. It's a tough road but it does get better with time.

Jeff c5/6 inc.
    jtwalker80@comcast.netJeffwalkerrehabfund.com

I forgot I'm 2 1/2 yrs post and as of a couple weeks ago my left peck muscles are now working. Turn those negative nurses into the positive of proving them wrong

Thank you carl, for taking the time to find the article that you were talking about. After reading it, i was even more confused, but its all good. I am just happy to see him moving both his arms and to give his friends their hand shakes that they do to eachother everytime they see them and right before he leaves. I am also thankful, that he is off the ventilator and that the centerline autoregulation fevers have stopped. And i think God that every day he gains more movement and feelings as well as sensations back. Once again thank you very much for taking the time to find that article. Have a great weekend everyone!!