Thread: Another cauda equina / nerve conduction question

Another cauda equina / nerve conduction question

I had the nerve conduction test of my lower extremities today. They did 2 tests. One with electrical jolts and then the one with needles. The tech seemed to think the results were normal. Would this likely rule out cauda equina syndrome?

I actually felt disappointed that the results were fine, as I am frustrated with the number of tests and lack of answers. My ultimate fear I that at the end of the day, they will still not have figured it out and will conclude it is all in my head. (Although logically, I know that they wouldn't really think that the inability to feel some of the perineal region and the necessity to use dulcolax suppositories is something likely to be faked convincingly!)

Both of those make up the emg. I dont know much about cauda equina but since the emg is only on peripheral nerves I dont believe it can rude it out. I know this doesn't apply in your case, but ive been told by neurologists that long standing damage may not show on an emg.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Did you have trauma or damage to the lower aspect of your spinal cord? Cauda equina can be diagnosed with a MRI of the spinal cord, physical exam and symptoms of bladder/bowel dysfunction. If you have had these completed then that would give a health care provider the information needed to make a diagnosis.

pbr