Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Central Cord Syndrome

Thanks a million again for prompt reply, I do think too I have 2 injuries going on...It is going to be Stanmore with Dr. Carlstedt or Dr. Birch. As far as I know they would prefer to operate during first 3 months for optimal results but they can operate up to 8, the results just aren't as good. I am 5 months post injury. Yes the flash was sudden, a second, a large flash in the back of my neck (altho how I could have seen it in the back of my neck is beyond me) and I immediately fell over and lost control of my legs.

I have had nerve conduction studies and the conduction stops at the spine. It showed no voluntary motor recruitment on left side. I have no neuropathic pain which I know goes hand in hand with brachial injuries but they have said the nerves may not be avulsed but just very badly stretched. I did 't receive methylprednisolone until about 72 or more hours later but I have had some recovery in right arm and it continues to improve. The left is being left behind.

I am confused as the deltoids are innervated by C4/C5 along with the diaphragm partially at C4 and surely if I have soo much de-enervation at C4/c5 on left hand side.. the grey cell damage at this level should have at least partially affected my breathing which is why it makes me think it is more of a root injury.

Anyhow I just figured even if it was Central Cord Syndrome they might still be able to treat it as Brachial and get back even a weak biceps as time goes on and muscles remain deenervated it gets unlikely for spontaneous recovery. Thanks again for all your help. Sorry for all confusing details.

Your interests are astrology? You sound like a doctor. You know a lot of anatomy! Wise.

Ha...it has become anatomy or probably shoulder anatomy since my injury altho I have to say there was an interesting accident constellation showing in my astrology chart around the time I had injury. Maybe it was fated. I have been told by friends/family to try to speak a sentence without the word deltoid in it.

Okay my surgeon has got a letter from Mr Birch saying he thinks I don't have a brachial plexus but rather have been provoked by a ischaemia of the anterior part of the cord from interscalene brachial plexus block. Is this a shortcut way of saying I have central cord syndrome as original diagnosed I wonder.

Aurelia, I am sorry but I am not sure that I understand the part of the interscalene brachial plexus block and what that has to do with ischemia of the anterior cord. None of these would imply central cord syndrome. Wise.

Thanks for help...I guess my surgeon didn't know either as he just said it was best if I read the letter myself. Anyhow, shall be seeing another surgeon soon so shall try to break it down.