Thread: Adjustable Beds

Adjustable Beds

My husband fell onto a wood deck when he was just two rungs up a ladder on June 7, 2003. The injury was a T-12 Burst fraction and the spine was compressed 50% but not nicked. He is paralyzed from the hips down, with some movement in the front of his thighs.

We are planning to purchase an adjustable bed so that he can eat in bed and watch TV on days that he isn't able to function well (like today). Currently we are renting a hospital bed and it is the pits. It's electric, but the innerspring mattress hurts his back. It's also way to narrow so his legs fall off when he rolls onto his side. The hospital used some type of foam mattress and that worked much better for him. We've looked at Tempur-Pedic (EXPENSIVE), latex foam, and an adjustable bed sold by one of the larger furniture chains. I haven't heard very good information about CraftMatic. Your input would be very helpful.

Thanks!

You might try www.transfermaster.com for the bed itself. My wife and I have two twin beds from transfer master where each is individually adjustable, but when they are pushed together and covered with a king size comforter it looks like a normal king size bed. We got the select comfort mattresses with the air inserts which are adjustable and they have worked well. None are cheap.

Thank you for your response. What kind of price are you talking? The Transfermaster web site doesn't list prices.

It has been a while, but I believe my wife's side was $1,600 and my side was $2,800. My side has the elevation features, built-in massage, etc. my wife's side is fully adjustable for the head and foot and on casters.

They are all expensive, and but we have really enjoyed being back in the same bed practically, but still have the flexibility for someone to be on each side of me when doing care. Insurance helped to pay for ours.

I would not be in too much of a hurry simply because your husband's injury is so new. I needed the adjustable twin beds because I need someone to help with dressing, transfers, etc. My wife has enjoyed the adjustability and uses it quite often.

[This message was edited by Carl R on 08-25-03 at 03:41 PM.]

Here are the ones that I recommend.

Transfer Master:

http://www.transfermaster.com/

tel. 877 445-6233

Jazzy

http://www.jazzy-electric-wheelchair...ory.asp?id=772

tel. 800 647-0803

Electropedic

http://www.electropedicbeds.com/Adjustable-Beds.html

tel.800 551-2010

If you think there is any chance you will ever be using a mobile lift, be sure there is space underneath the bed for this.

A dual king is actually two twins fit together, but keep in mind they are usually extra-long sheet size (hard to find sheets in this size).

My parents have an Electropedic dual king. It swings apart for bedmaking, etc. but does not have a high-low feature.

$4,400 is way too steep for our pocket books right now. The queen size beds we have looked are in the $2,200 - $2,800 range for a queen adjustable with wave massage. I think a California King would be better, but a tight squeeze for our room. Basically, anything will be better than the regular we have right now.

I see you have air inserts. Some messages I read after first posting complained about air mattresses and others about foam mattresses. We tested a latex mattress/adjustable bed earlier this week and it was extremely comfortable. We also checked out a Tempur-Pedic, but we think he would have trouble getting out of that bed because it compresses so low.

Once my husband is out of his clam shell brace he should be able to get up and out of bed by himself. He is able to dress himself but can't get into the brace without help. We are hoping that he will be done with that in two more weeks. He's been in it over 10 weeks already.

Thank you again for offering your suggestions.

I have a Simmons Beauty Rest Adjustable - I believe it was about 3,000 Canadian for a double.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

I was in a car accident with a T11,T12 burst fractor.. My husband purchased a Select Comfort bed, it is a dual adjustable king size bed. It is great I have rods in my back that gives me pain every now and then. The nice thing is you have dual controls that are radio control. No pressure sores either.. the only problem is that the bed doesn't rise up in a sitting position.
    MJ

Originally posted by mrsnomis:

My husband fell onto a wood deck when he was just two rungs up a ladder on June 7, 2003. The injury was a T-12 Burst fraction and the spine was compressed 50% but not nicked. He is paralyzed from the hips down, with some movement in the front of his thighs.

We are planning to purchase an adjustable bed so that he can eat in bed and watch TV on days that he isn't able to function well (like today). Currently we are renting a hospital bed and it is the pits. It's electric, but the innerspring mattress hurts his back. It's also way to narrow so his legs fall off when he rolls onto his side. The hospital used some type of foam mattress and that worked much better for him. We've looked at Tempur-Pedic (EXPENSIVE), latex foam, and an adjustable bed sold by one of the larger furniture chains. I haven't heard very good information about CraftMatic. Your input would be very helpful.

Thanks!

A friend with Rheumatoid Arthritis has talked to me about the Select Comfort bed also. We really want a bed that will allow Si to rise to a sitting position because he has Achalasia too. We have had the head of our bed propped up 6" over the past few years because of this. We think that being able to raise the head when the heartburn begins will help him.

Someone replied that they had the Simmons Beauty Rest. Simmons mattresses have springs from what I understand. We have a regular mattress now and neither of us find it comfortable any more. We put a 3" memory foam overlay on the bed about a year or two ago and it helps us both. (I am blessed with osteoarthritis.)

I appreciate everyone's imput. You guys are great.

My bed is a Borg Warner (no longer made.) It was the brand my rehab used.

Alan