Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Spinal stroke

  1. #1

    Spinal stroke

    I'm a 34 year old male from Europe and I had a spinal stroke in May 2002. It all started with a sudden pain in my back; after 4,5 hours I was paralysed on the level of T8. It all came very sudden, I was in a good health and didn't see my doctor in four years.
    After some scans they told me that I had a spinal stroke, but the cause is unknown. I had no AVM or problems with my blood. More than a year it's clear that I will never know what caused the stroke. Is there anyone who had the same experience and what examinations did you get in the hospital?

  2. #2
    This has been discussed here before:

    Click here

    You may want to post this on the Life or Care forum for more responses.


  3. #3
    Hi, in August of 2006 I had been at church in a seminar, went home, had lunch, went to the restroom. Went I went to get up my legs were gone, just in that quick second. I was taken to the hospital were they did all kinds of blood work, MRI's and spinal tap. Nothing was of the unordinary. Six neurologists and a neuro surgeon couldn't find a reason. I was in the hospital and the rehab unit for 15 days still with no answer. They had thought maybe West Nile, if not that then it had to be some virus. Through all of this I have had to learn how to walk again. Where I work, we have a client that is a retired neuro surgeon, he wanted to take my MRI's home with him to look over with a friend of his. He called me the day before I was scheduled to go to LSU Touro to have yet another nerve conductor test done. Now this has been going on for about 2 1/2 months of not knowing and the doctors not knowing and being puzzled. My friend called me and told me that I had had a spinal stroke and that it is uncommon. He said that in his 40 years of practice he had only seen 3 cases and that I was the 3rd. Basically, I have to learn how to walk all over again. It's a long and slow process. When I try to ask someone or find something written on the internet I have yet to find anything. Don't know how or why this happened. There has to be some information somewhere about this. If you can help me in any way I would surely appreciate it. I know that things could be alot worse, but this has been so life altering and dipressing. Please write back. Lisa

  4. #4
    Junior Member allen54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Spinal Stroke

    My problems started about 7:30 in the morning,I started to have some discomfort on my left side. I went to work and about 10:45 I started to bend down and my left leg and waist went total numb.Being the fool I am I drove to the emergency room and my right leg went numb half way to the hospital so I used the ice scaper to stop the car when I got to the hospital. I was put on a stretch when they pulled me from the car. After
    many xrays and MRI I was diagnosed with a Spinal Strock at T-10.Felling has not returned all that well even after 6 months .I am able to walk with a cane and still have spasms in the left leg along with no badder or bowel control.

  5. #5
    I had a spinal stroke in -69. Took me two hours to get fully paralyzed up to T12. I could walk bad after 8 month of rehab and did walk for the next 34 years.

    I am still not sure what really happened that day. And they have never been sure if it was a stroke or not. No MRI in -69, but I have taken many after and they can't see a thing.
    TH 12, 43 years post

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Canberra, Australia
    I had a similar experience 12 months ago.
    Took a while for it to get to the worst where I could not move either leg. I have placed other posts which say where I am at now.

    The medical diagnosis the doctors gave me was fibrocartilaginous embolism or in lay terms a Spinal Stroke.
    I had numerous tests and 3 MRIs, the doctors ruled everything else out.

    As I understand it, in Spinal Strokes the blood supply is cut off from the spinal cord for a while for whatever reason.
    With fibrocartilaginous embolism, the belief is that part of the fibrous outside of the disc comes away and some of the fluid inside the disc escapes into the artery, cutting off the blood supply. Which starts to starve the nerves in the spinal cord, giving varying degrees of damage.
    It can not be fully diagnosed until an autopsy is done. When I was told that, I was pretty clear with the medical staff that they could have my spine when I was finished with it but I am not finished with it yet :-)

    In some ways I was fortunate that it did not take long to diagnose.
    One Specialist at Royal North Shore in Sydney had seemed to do a study on 15 people with similar symptoms that had attended RNS in the past 10 years.
    I was completely bamboozled as to what had happened and he asked me if I had turned at all, just before it happened.
    I had been doing a number of things at the time in quick succession, I was laughing, I had leaned forward and twisted for my husband to take a photo and just before that I had twisted to get a backpack off my back. Nothing that was out of the ordinary, nothing that I haven't done many times before or since. Just that time it was life changing.

    I was also told that no one else has had a repeat episode.

    I hope this helps, take my explanation with a grain of salt, after all I am not part of the medical profession. Also if you do a google search on FCE then most of the literature is from Veterinary Science, it is more commonly recognised in animals. Great, huh!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts