Thread: Finally rehab in sight

Finally rehab in sight

Hi All,

First I want to thank all of you so much for all the information and the advice to keep pushing and advocate myself for my son (Anthony). Alot has happened in the past couple of weeks. Anthony was approved to be moved to Jackson Memorial in Miami for rehab, wounds and all. Of course he will not be able to start right away; but at least he is somewhere that he needs to be. I am so glad he is out of St. Joseph's in Tampa. We were flown down two days ago and the difference here is like night and day. After looking back on his stay at St. Joseph's I don't know what to say. They have a more positive attitude here and am so grateful for a Dr. Kuluz that tried hard to get him here after hearing about his case. He says he should be able to be weaned off the ventilator. They just had somebody in here with the same level of injury as Anthony and that young man was successfully weaned. The team of Drs. that Anthony has is great so far. This is what it is supposed to be like. We will keep in touch.

Cindy, tampa fl
    mom to Anthony C4,5,6
    inury 3/28/03
    in preparation for rehab at Jackson Memorial

Cindy, I am so happy for both of you! Keep plugging, and don't be a stranger here. We want to share in his progress now that he is in a better and more appropriate facility for his needs.

(KLD)

Cindy, I echo KLD's comments - so happy to hear things are finally moving along! You will find that the philosophy of rehab is quite different than that of an acute care hospital; even the ways they wean someone from the vent are different, and much more aggressive than at an acute care hospital.

Make sure you're included (and any other family members who will be involved with caring for your son) in any therapies and learning about living with SCI. The more knowledge you have, the better you'll be able to handle with all the curves life with SCI is going to throw your way.

Also, from a caregiver/mom viewpoint, please, please, please, take the time to care for YOU; it's so easy to just think of your son, and all of a sudden you crash and burn. Take time off, read a book, go to a movie - whatever it is that is special just to you. Also, check in to our caregiver's forum, you'll find a great bunch of folks there to share experiences, frustrations, and joy with!

My best to you! Jackie

Learned something new today in the way of suctioning. For the past 4 mos. Anthony was always suctioned by sticking that skinny tube down his trach and pulling it out while holding in the button to suction the flem out. Today they used a "bulb" that they attached to the suction hose and removed the vent hose that attaches to his trach and put the bulb over the top of the hole and it sucked the flem right out. This seems so much better than sticking that tube down his airway; not as much trauma and it doesn't make him gag so much. Has anybody used this before?

Cindy, tampa fl
    mom to Anthony C4,5,6
    inury 3/28/03
    getting ready for rehab at Jackson Memorial