Thread: Question for the Nurse

Question for the Nurse

I have another question for the nurse:
    I've just heard that they are going to perform more surgery on my son. It seems they want to take out the original metal rod (along his spine) which was inserted a few weeks ago and replace it with another, longer one.
    These are all the "details" I have.
    Could you please give me some idea of, at least, the theory behind this and the reason (possibly) for it?
    I understand that this would be just general information as you do not have access to accurate medical information.
    Thank you.

[This message was edited by heron on 07-17-03 at 03:03 PM.]

This is rarely done except if the original surgery was either not done right, or the current rod has slipped out of place or broken.

Do you know why? If not, then you need to ask and get a detailed explaination (with all your questions answered) before you or he consent to this surgery. This is your right. Insist upon it.

(KLD)

Nurse:
    Thank you for your response, although it does worry me. I have e-mailed my question and your response to my daughter-in-law and also to a friend (over there) who can translate for them/us. I will also try to call my son tomorrow.
    Then I'll let you know the answers I get.
    Thank you, again. You are a great help and comfort.
    heron

I got an answer, of sorts, from my son.
    The doctors told him that the first surgery (for inserting screws and rods) had to curtailed because of heavy bleeding - so it was "incomplete". The doctors are now worried that as he progresses and begins to build up his upper body strength his back will not support this. "my back will break again", is how he put it.
    Fortunately there do not seem to be the Insurance Company pressures in Spain as there seem to be here - as far as I know.
    Anyway, I would appreciate your opinion on this, again with little information.
    Heron

Occasionally a surgery must be stopped due to complications like bleeding. It sounds like they did the wise thing in planning to go back and finish after he was more stable. This is a big surgery, but the fact that they recognize that it must still be done is good.

The rods hold all the bones in the right place so that healing and fusion can take place. Of course until the surgery is done it is extra important that he follow any limitations placed on his activity in therapy and at bedside, and use his back brace at all times (not just when out of bed).

If the brace is not on, he must be carefully log-rolled for all bed movements by at least 2 nurses.

(KLD)

Thank you so much for yuor response. I feel much better now and have forwarded your reply to my daughter-in-law and friends over there.
    I will be going over there next month for an extended stay - to help out, be supportive and see what I can do. Got to get some funds together first and put "my own house in order".
    Thank you again.
    heron

Dear Nurse:
    I posted a notice in the Caregivers section, but my son died yesterday, in hospital. It appears to have been from a blood-clot travelling to his heart.
    I am very grateful for your's, and evrybody's help and guidance. I will stay in touch once I retun from the funeral in England.
    Thank you.

I am so sorry to hear this. Unfortunately pulmonary emboli are the leading cause of death in people with SCI in weeks 2-4 after injury. Was he taking any anticoagulant preventive medications? These are pretty much universally used in the USA to prevent this.

(KLD)