Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Spinal injuries can slow dogs down

  1. #1

    Spinal injuries can slow dogs down

    http://rdu.news14.com/content/headli...=32197&SecID=2

    Spinal injuries can slow dogs down
    7/10/2003 5:55 AM
    By: Dr. Tom Watson


    Dumpling is a 4-year-old dachshund who was diagnosed with a hernicated disc.

    Most commonly caused by body type, some dogs may experience spinal problems that hinder their ability to be active.

    Dumpling, a 4-year-old dachshund, had a sudden onset of paralysis in her rear legs about three years ago. Basically, she lost the ability to know where her back feet were.

    Through clinical symptoms and X-rays, she was diagnosed with a spinal problem where a disc had herniated and was putting pressure on the spine.

    This problem is very common in dogs such as dachshunds and basset hounds because there is such a long distance between their front legs and rear legs. This causes the spine to carry a lot of the weight and a lot of the pressure.



    WATCH THE VIDEO


    Spinal injuries can slow dogs down

    Most commonly caused by body type, some dogs may experience spinal problems that hinder their ability to be active.

    The pressure leads to a herniation of the disc compressing up on the spinal cord, which causes a loss of sensation in the back legs, pain and paralysis in severe cases.

    The treatment for spinal injuries can be two-fold. Approximately 80 percent of patients will respond to medical therapy, which includes strict confinement, steroids at anti-inflammatory doses as well as muscle relaxers. The other 20 percent will need surgery to relieve the compression on the spinal cord.

    Any pet showing signs of spinal disease, such as refusal to jump on and off of furniture or a lack of raring up like they used to, call a veterinarian and have them checked out.

  2. #2
    Even with decompression surgery some do not regain
    function..They too live in K-9 type wheelchairs. Suffer UTI's, spasms, and receive extensive physical therapy.
    But..they still can scurry to catch vermin,
    and are a joy to know.

    Scooby 3 years old, and Rudy 4 years old died
    yesterday with complications of myelomalacia.
    They were not treated with the IV Solu-medrol, or decompressed.

  3. #3
    I am sorry about the loss of your dogs. I had a doxie when growing up and know how they can creep into your heart.

    (KLD)

  4. #4
    Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

    I am sorry about the loss of your dogs. I had a doxie when growing up and know how they can creep into your heart.

    (KLD)
    Thank you KDL. Scooby and Rudy were two
    of our list dogs that received improper treatment. My boy is doing well. He has been
    downed for 8 years now. He has regained alot
    of function and uses his chair now as a walker. His overall health is good for a 13
    year old.

    It's vital to have a good vet to work with.
    It seems the DVM's sometimes won't listen
    to the neurosurgeons as far as how the proper
    conventional medical approach should be utilized.

    Are you sure you don't want to become an advisor for the SCI K9's also? <G>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •