Thread: question for Dr Young

question for Dr Young

hi,
    since my son became injured i have often wondered about how many years of his life did this injury stole?
    he is 17 and i would really love to know how long can a T4/T5 complete para live a full life.
    i know it is greatly dependent on the life style and how good care he takes of him self, but the question remains is he going to live as long as if he weren't injured?

You can also look at the stats on the bottom of this page for info on this:

SCI Statistics

According to this a person at the age of 20 without a SCI has about 57.2 more years to live (ie, 77.2 years total). A person at age 20 with a complete paraplegic SCI would have approximately 46.2 years more life expectancy (ie, 66.2 years total).

Always remember this is an AVERAGE, and does not dictate life-expectancy. Obviously people who pay more attention to their health will live longer, since the numbers are reduced by those who neglect themselves. I have had a number of clients with paraplegic injuries who lived well into their 80s, and these were people who were injured in the 1940s, 1950s or 1960s when care was not nearly as good as it is today.

(KLD)

glace,

Much depends on how much one allows the injury to steal and the level of injury.

For most, the injury steals at least a year (acute hospitalization, rehabilitation, getting back to home, and learning how to cope with daily life) from school and other activities. Of course, the higher the injury, the longer it takes. Thus, somebody with a high cervical injury may take as long as 3-5 years to find the people and set up the living situation. Somebody with a thoracic spinal cord injury often go back to school in less than a year. The timing of the injury also may be a factor. People who are injured in the early summer may miss a whole school year whereas somebody who is injured in late fall or early winter may be ready to start school again the following fall.

Beyond one year, much depends on the resources of the family and the person. Many studies have shown that disability is inversely proportional to education. The more education the person has before injury or achieves after injury, the less the disability, regardless of the level of severity of injury.

Many studies have indicated that once a person survives the first five years after injury, the lifespan of somebody with spinal cord injury approaches normal. There are many factors of course that contribute the lifespan. We should remember that people who were injured in the 1960s and 1970s are the first generation of people with spinal cord injury who are now surviving into the 60s and 70s.

People with spinal cord injury have a propensity for some problems that the uninjured population does not have. NIH is actually having a major conference on this subject towards the end of this month: Disability throughout the LifeSpan.
    They are having the top experts in the country getting together to discuss this problem.

Wise.

thank you all..
    dr.wise, how can we get details from this conference?
    will there be a site that we can visit or can you maybe post some info later on?
    andrea

glace, there is very likely to be a publication from the meeting and I will try to find out where that is available. Since this is an NIH sponsored meeting, the proceedings are probably free. I will post the information about the meeting and how to get the proceedings. Wise.